[ged] Another paper for jclub next Monday

Adina Chuang adina.chuang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 17:45:52 PDT 2010

Hey folks,

Here's the other article which Jason will be presenting...

ABSTRACT
Here we integrate the de novo assembly of an Asian and an African
genome with the NCBI reference human genome, as a step toward
constructing the human pan-genome. We identified ~5 Mb of novel
sequences not present in the reference genome in each of these
assemblies. Most novel sequences are individual or population
specific, as revealed by their comparison to all available human DNA
sequence and by PCR validation using the human genome diversity cell
line panel. We found novel sequences present in patterns consistent
with known human migration paths. Cross-species conservation analysis
of predicted genes indicated that the novel sequences contain
potentially functional coding regions. We estimate that a complete
human pan-genome would contain ~19–40 Mb of novel sequence not present
in the extant reference genome. The extensive amount of novel sequence
contributing to the genetic variation of the pan-genome indicates the
importance of using complete genome sequencing and de novo assembly.