[data-carpentry-discuss] Data carpentry for librarians

Jeremy Cope j.cope at erambler.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 09:20:29 PDT 2015

Hi there,

I currently work in the library at Imperial College London (United
Kingdom), supporting research data management (RDM). I'm interested in
running a Data Carpentry workshop for my library colleagues, and wondered
if anyone has any thoughts or advice on this?

I've seen there have been a few SC for Librarians bootcamps (see e.g.
http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2014/08/bootcamps-for-librarians.html),
but couldn't find anything about DC so far. DC seems most appropriate for
this group as they are non-programmers rather than beginner programmers —
my aims would be:

1. Give them data analysis tools above and beyond Excel to use in their day
jobs;
2. Give them experience of what some of our researchers will be doing to
help them understand where our own RDM guidance fits in with that.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,
Jez