[data-carpentry-discuss] Our core ecological dataset is now available on figshare

Ethan White ethan at weecology.org
Sun Feb 22 12:18:03 PST 2015

Morgan Ernest and I finally got around to publishing the simplified version
of the Portal Project mammal data that we've been using on figshare:
http://figshare.com/articles/Portal_Project_Teaching_Database/1314459

As we've previously discussed this allows for simpler management of data
and it lets us introduce data repositories and integrate a more realistic
data acquisition process.

In addition to the existing csv and sqlite versions of the dataset, We've
also added a json version of the dataset and can add other formats if
desirable. Request are welcome via Data Carpentry repos or via:
https://github.com/weecology/portal-teachingdb

I have added the hind-foot length column which addresses a request in:
https://github.com/datacarpentry/datacarpentry/issues/96

and fixes:
https://github.com/datacarpentry/datacarpentry/issues/121

I recommend updating lessons to download relevant data directly from the
permanent figshare links.

Ethan