[data-carpentry-discuss] Job announcement: Scientific Software Engineer in data-intensive ecology group

Ethan White ethan at weecology.org
Mon Apr 27 14:10:21 PDT 2015

Hi all,

My research group at the University of Florida is hiring a
Scientific Software Engineer to develop software that facilitates science,
contribute to research in data-intensive ecology, and improve scientific
research and computing through training (i.e., Software Carpentry and
Data Carpentry).

My lab is actively involved in data-intensive computational research, open
source software development, and open approaches to science. The engineer
will work as part of a collaborative group, including undergraduates,
graduate students and postdocs, using large amounts of ecological and
environmental data to understand natural systems. They will develop and
maintain open source software designed for working with large amounts of
heterogeneous data, collaborate on research projects making predictions for
ecological systems, and help develop web infrastructure for scientists to
share, evaluate and improve predictions. In doing so they will actively
interact with, and contribute to, related efforts from other initiatives and
projects in these areas.

Are you a software developer who’s interested in science? Great! Are you a
scientist with strong software skills? Awesome! If you have some experience
with Python or R, Git, database management systems, web development, spatial
data, and/or PostgreSQL/PostGIS, we’d be excited, but what we’re really
interested in is someone who is good with computers, interested in science,
enjoys working on a variety of projects, likes learning new tools as needed,
and works well in a diverse team.

You can learn more by checking out these blog posts:

http://jabberwocky.weecology.org/2015/04/21/scientific-software-engineer-in-data-intensive-ecology-group/
http://jabberwocky.weecology.org/2015/04/27/were-recruiting-a-good-scientific-software-engineer/

or the official University of Florida job ad:

https://jobs.ufl.edu/postings/64478

I'd definitely be excited about hiring someone from the Software/Data
Carpentry community, so if this looks interesting to you please get in
touch (off list).

Ethan