[cse491] broken pipe when testing with script

Steve Wakeford wakeford at msu.edu
Mon Sep 28 17:54:36 PDT 2009

First, I believe I am implementing all correctly but I am occasionally
getting a "socket.error: (32, 'Broken pipe')" exception.

I believe this is because my test script is closing the connection
before the server has sent its echo. If I put in a pause (i.e.
time.sleep(1)) before my socket.close() calls everything works fine.

Is this acceptable/expected behavior or must this be corrected/handled?

Second, should the server only be echoing on newline? Currently I am
echoing every character as it comes in (including the '\n' and '.'
before ending connection). Just want to know if that's OK in
consideration of future projects.

Thanks,
-Steve