[cse491] Homework 3 part 2

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Sep 28 07:01:11 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 05:35:00PM -0400, Jessica Parks wrote:
> Just for clarification... I would be sending "data" back to the
> "client_sock" in order to echo right?  I think I'm echoing it, but nothing
> displays on the browser screen when I run the script and connect to my
> localhost:port specified.  I do get information on my terminal because I'm
> using print statements so I know it's connecting and everything.  I have it
> committed to my trunk if you want to check it out.

Hey Jessica,

yes, although the Web browser won't display anything because you're not
responding with a valid HTTP response.  So now that you've got the
socket binding/printing working, you need to try a different approach to
fully test the echo part of the server -- either writing a test client,
or using netcat, or ...

> I'm confused about where I would put the host part in the code?  I can't
> seem to find anywhere where it would actually fit.  I'm thinking this might
> be why I am having issues.
> Thanks again for the help!

Host part... oh, I see, that goes in the 'interface' part of
socket.bind.  For now you should just leave it blank (empty quotes).

cheers,
--titus