[cse491] UCOSP, GSoC, and GHOP

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Sep 24 19:19:24 PDT 2009

Hi all,

today in class I mentioned some open-source undergraduate opportunities
and suggested that those of you seeking internships at places like
Google might think about participating in open source projects through
programs like them.

The three programs that I commend to you are:

http://ucosp.wordpress.com/about/, which I'm running at MSU as a CSE
490/independent study program;

http://code.google.com/soc/, for which I can serve as a reference source
(this has helped several MSU students get it; most applicants have no
references from people with open source cred);

http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/, which is running again
this December.  GHOP is an interesting one: here you would be serving as
*mentors* to high school students who were solving tasks specified by
the likes of me for open source projects like Python.  It is an
excellent tho time-intensive way to get introduced into the open source
"scene".

If you end up enjoying the extreme levels of uncertainty present in my
homework assignments, then open source programming might be for you! ;)

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu