[cse491] hw2

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Sep 19 21:06:31 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 04:44:06PM -0400, lovelesh chawla wrote:
> Dear Professor,
>
> When I am trying to copy the hw1 directory to trunk. I am getting the
> following error. Did i miss something that I was supposed to do. Is is the
> source thing.
> <129 arctic:~ >svn copy http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/chawlalo/hw1
> http://class
> .ged.idyll.org/svn/chawlalo/trunk2
> svn: Could not use external editor to fetch log message; consider setting
> the $SVN_EDITOR environment variable or using the --message (-m) or --file
> (-F) options
> svn: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR is set,
> and no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found

Hi lovelesh,

the '-m message' component of the svn copy command is important, in this
context.

You can fix it either by specifying '-m' as in my example, OR you can
set your VISUAL or EDITOR environment variable to pico, vim, or emacs,
e.g.:

	setenv VISUAL vim

What's happening is that 'svn copy' automatically does a commit, and it
wants a commit message for the commit log; you either need to tell it
what commit message to use ('svn copy ... -m some_message') or you need
to tell it what editor you want it to start in order to edit the commit
message.

cheers,
--t
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu