[cse491] python troubleshooting

Tim Miller mille449 at msu.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:06:26 PDT 2009

For any of you who have been working on the homework, I'm sure you're
familiar with the non-descriptive error page the server spits out for
most syntax errors, even if you have cgitb enabled.

For any of you that are frustrated with this, I found that you can run
your python script in a terminal and even though it will not give you
the output you desire, it WILL find your syntax errors (and many
others) and tell you what the problem is.

Then you can try your web page and see if the rest of it works without
running into that annoying 500 error.  I found this extremely useful,
hope you do too.

Tim Miller