[cse491] HW #1

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Sep 8 13:29:31 PDT 2009

Here you are:

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu
-------------- next part --------------
Homework 1: CGI scripts
-----------------------

Due Tuesday, September 15th, at 4:30pm (start of class).

1. Take the file 'hello.cgi' (from the class svn server for HW files,
http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/files/hw1/hello.cgi) and install it
under your CGI directory so that it is accessible as
'http://www/cse.msu.edu/cgi-user/$USER/hello.cgi' (replace
$USER with your CSE account name).  You shouldn't need to make any
modifications to the script itself other than making it executable.
(2.5 points)

2. Write a CGI script that takes in POST data from this form:
http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/files/hw1/form.html, and processes it
to dynamically produce output like this:
http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/files/hw1/form-output.html.  That is,
the CGI script should printing out "Number" copies of "Name" on
separate lines, in the given color, with conversion of the name to
uppercase or lowercase as specified. Use the 'cgi' module to parse the
input data.  Your CGI script should be named 'hw1/process-hw1-form.cgi'.
(5.0 points)

Handing in Homework
-------------------

You will be using the Subversion ('svn') server at

   http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/

with your MSU username.  I'll send out a link for setting up your
SVN accounts between now and Thursday, and we'll discuss how to use
Subversion in class on Thursday.

A few notes:

 * Make sure to name your HW files exactly as specified in the HW itself.
   This makes it easy for us to find.

   So, for the second part of the homework, you should make SURE that your
   homework file is accessible as

       http://class.ged.idyll.org/svn/$USER/hw1/process-hw1-form.cgi

 * Also make sure that what is checked in, works; the best way to do
   this is to check it back out in a different directory, and then try
   running it, hint.