[cse491] Reading for Thursday; discussion points.

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Nov 11 07:37:29 PST 2009

Hi all,

we're going to be designing and implementing parts of a message board over
the next few weeks, and part of the fun is going to be choosing a registration
scheme to entice people into signing up for our message board.  While we may
end up with something fairly boring due to time constraints, I at least
want to start the conversation off at an interesting place...

So, given the following set of desired features,

- [ ] login
- [ ] posting messages
- [ ] reading messages
- [ ] categories and tagging
- [ ] finding messages
- [ ] deleting messages
- [ ] avatars
- [ ] sticky messages
- [ ] spam control
- [ ] replying to messages
- [ ] editing messages
- [ ] moderation of messages
- [ ] private message / access controls to posts

think about how you would implement a registration system for users
to keep track of identity and reputation and avoid spammers.  (Feel free
to suggest more features, or drop features that you don't like.)

Creative solutions that are not technically easy are fine to suggest
(e.g. you can assume a good spammer-resistant CAPTCHA technique).

Please read this piece for Thursday so that we can start off well:

	http://www.asktog.com/columns/081Registration.html

Remember, think different! :)

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu