[cse491] Project ideas

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Dec 10 10:54:26 PST 2009

Re projects,

OK, so I've steadily backed down on the project ideas because most people
did pretty well in the course and I have no desire to make people do more work
(or to grade it, for that matter).  NONETHELESS, I know some people would like
an opportunity to make some additional points, and I did foolishly promise
projects in general, so: here are three project ideas.  Let me know if you
decide you want to do one of these; they would be due next Friday at 5pm.

A project would be a way to make up 7.5 points, one homeworks worth of work.
All of these should be done with respect to HW #12, i.e. with sessions,
AJAX, and persistence.

---

1) Separately implement both SQL and bsddb backends for data
   persistence as in HW #12.  (i.e. if you did bsddb/shelve, now
   do SQLite; and vice versa)

2) Implement message board moderation & management interface:

     - have admin users
     - keep track of posted-but-not-yet-approved messages
     - admin user posts are automatically approved

3) Write htmlunit (http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/) tests to thoroughly test
   all of meep message board functionality present in HW #12 (AJAX, logins,
   registration, etc.).  No need to test persistence.

---

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu