[cse491] Question about homework 3

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Fri Sep 12 07:56:34 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 04:30:24AM -0700, C. Titus Brown wrote:
-> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:58:15PM -0400, Evan Dontje wrote:
-> -> Professor,
-> -> For the nonblocking echo server is using 'select' a valid way to solve the
-> -> problem or does that use multiple processes. Looking at the documentation
-> -> for select, it doesn't look like it does but I wanted to make sure that I'm
-> -> going about this the right way. Thanks.
->
-> 'select' doesn't use multiple processes, but it *does* block.

Sorry, to clarify a few things --

Please don't use select to do the homework problem; I really do want you
to do a busy loop :).

There are other reasons why you might want to do this.  For example,
supposed that, in addition to the network connections, you were
monitoring a resource that could not be monitored using 'select', or
doing computation between look for data from the sockets?

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu