[cse491] Miscellaneous factoids

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Sep 10 12:25:23 PDT 2008

1st, please do fix all of the problems on your HW #1; once done, it
should pass all of the tests I sent out, including the additional tests
at

	http://ged.msu.edu/courses/2008-fall-cse-491/hw-1-tests.txt

Since I sent out the solutions last week, this shouldn't be too tough!

2nd, if you're using telnet, '.<return>' is actually sent & received as

	.\r\n

which is acceptable as an end-of-connection thing.

3rd, note that there's no guarantee that the 'recv' command will receive
a text chunk containing '\n.\n'; it may come as '\n', '.\n', for
example.

4th, if you want to print out the contents of a string 's' with
whitespace etc, use

	print (s,)

so you'll see everything encoded, like so:

>>> s = 'asdf\n\r'
>>> print (s,)
('asdf\n\r',)

cheers,