[cse491] twill tests fail

Kareem Janoudi kjanoudi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 02:50:31 PST 2008

I emailed titus about this last week, believe he is still working on it. I
do think it is a bug within twill and possibly the reason could be that it
does not escape the string properly prior to using it in a regex find. if
you test for a user whose username is: "username=')", it will print
correctly on the /auth/print, and it will set the cookie correctly, but
twill cannot search for it using "find" because it transforms the string
given to a regular expression, which includes unescaped characters, such as
). The error given is: error: unbalanced parenthesis in this particular
case.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Alexander Allen Nolley <nolleyal at msu.edu>wrote:

> Hey I was working on testing with odd usernames and passwords with twill
> and
> I've run into a problem. The username and password in question are
> '<>,./?;:
> []{}_-+=' and "!@#$% ^&*()''" respectively without the quotes. They are
> already in the database and logging in with them works through Firefox and
> Selenium but when I try testing with twill, I get the following error:
>
> EXCEPTION raised at line 42 of 'basic-test.twill'
>
>     find "you are user <>,./?;: []{}_-+="
>
> Error message: 'bad character range'
>

> ** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: bad character range
>  --
>
> I have a feeling that there is some kind of character escaping I should be
> doing. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Kareem Janoudi