[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Aug 23 01:06:46 PDT 2022

Hello

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of August 16 to 23,
2022.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

Writing a transpiler from PHP to polyglot PHP+C code
How to speed up this function?
Old CWN

Writing a transpiler from PHP to polyglot PHP+C code
════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/discussion-writing-a-transpiler-from-php-to-polyglot-php-c-code/10301/4>

Deep in this thread, Olle Härstedt announced
────────────────────────────────────────────

  Made a small prototype here, very standard thing:
  <https://github.com/olleharstedt/pholyglot/tree/main/src>

  Parser and lexer in Menhir, AST that represents the subset PHP lang,
  then I'd have to iterate over it to infer some types, transform to
  polyglot AST and from there to string.

  The one thing to make it more professional would be proper error
  messages for the end user… But you have to carry file and line in the
  AST, right? Maybe I can google around. :thinking:

How to speed up this function?
══════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/how-to-speed-up-this-function/10286/29>

Deep in a huge discussion, Yaron Minsky said
────────────────────────────────────────────

  From our perspective at Jane Street, unboxed types is a /very/ high
  priority. A large slice of the team is thinking about it, and Chris
  Casinghino and Richard Eisenberg have joined recently and have it as
  their primary focus, along with Antal.

  In terms of when it makes it upstream, that's less clear. We're
  working hard on getting out some initial versions done, and we plan on
  iterating internally, where it's easier for us to try things out and
  then change them as we go.  Once we have a design that we really
  believe in, we intend to propose it upstream, but how quickly that
  goes (and whether it's successful at all!) depends on whether upstream
  maintainers and the larger community find the improvements compelling.

  In any case, I find this conversation encouraging, since it suggests
  there's some real hunger for improvements in this space.

  I expect ICFP in particular to be a good opportunity for people to
  learn more about the work we're doing both here, and also on type-safe
  stack allocation. (For what it's worth, the latter is already in
  production internally and looks very promising.)

  If you'll be at ICFP:

  • Richard Eisenberg will be giving a [talk on unboxed types] at the ML
    workshop
  • Stephen Dolan will be giving a [talk on stack allocation] at the
    OCaml Users and Developers Workshop.

[talk on unboxed types]
<https://icfp22.sigplan.org/details/mlfamilyworkshop-2022-papers/13/Unboxed-types-for-OCaml>

[talk on stack allocation]
<https://icfp22.sigplan.org/details/ocaml-2022-papers/9/Stack-allocation-for-OCaml>

Old CWN
═══════

  If you happen to miss a CWN, you can [send me a message] and I'll mail
  it to you, or go take a look at [the archive] or the [RSS feed of the
  archives].

  If you also wish to receive it every week by mail, you may subscribe
  [online].

  [Alan Schmitt]

[send me a message] <mailto:alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org>

[the archive] <https://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/>