[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Nov 24 04:08:20 PST 2020

Hello

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of November 17 to 24,
2020.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

OCaml User Survey 2020
Suggestions from the OCaml Survey result
OCaml for ARM MacOS
TechEmpower benchmark: httpaf + lwt + unix on par with Haskell's warp
Dropbox v2 API, and JSoO bindings for GridJS and IndexedDB
OCaml in Jupyter-based Environments
Ocurrent/opam Docker images have moved to ocaml/opam
ocaml-lsp-server 1.2.0
ca-certs and ca-certs-nss
Compatibility packages for 4.12 (either, semaphore-compat)
Jupyter with pyml
OCaml needs an arbitrary-precision decimal type
Type-at-point ocaml-lsp/merlin in vim/neovim
ocamlearlybird now an OCaml Software Foundation supported project
release of mc2 0.1, a SMT solver
Wednesday, 25th November 2020 is MirageOS Bug Cleaning Day!
Other OCaml News
Old CWN

OCaml User Survey 2020
══════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-ocaml-user-survey-2020/6624/25>

Continuing this thread, Xavier Leroy announced
──────────────────────────────────────────────

  I extracted the replies to the free-form questions and made them
  available as a Gist.  There are so many replies that I have no idea
  how to exploit and summarize them!
  <https://gist.github.com/xavierleroy/88a22b2b8e609c46bf9d23f36521a483>

Patrick Ferris then said
────────────────────────

  Thanks for putting together this great resource!

  I think it's quite important to take the results from this survey and
  find actionable items (or highlight ongoing efforts) which aim to
  improve different problems for different users. As a result I have put
  together some graphs trying to categorise the answers based on
  proficiency (`beginner', `intermediate', `advanced' and
  `expert'). These groupings are quite subjective but I thought it might
  offer a slightly more nuanced look into what problems users had, where
  they come from, what they are doing and what commonalities they
  share. The [code is here] and the [HTML version of the notebook here]
  (I'm no data-scientist nor python developer :snake: if you see glaring
  mistakes do raise an issue!).

  Here are some possible inferences (*warning: opinions ahead*) that can
  be made from the data along with possible actionable steps (or links
  to ongoing projects):
  • [Everybody wants better documentation for user libraries]. I think
    people want more long-form style documentation. However, excellent
    work is currently taking place with [odoc] (see also [OCaml workshop
    video]) and perhaps these concerns can be wrapped into this ongoing
    work.
  • Everybody wants *multicore* but "experts" want *implicits* a little
    more – [multicore is coming along amazingly] and [implicits] are in
    an earlier but active state AFAICT.
  • [A wide variety of application domains]
  • less proficient OCaml users tend to be doing more web-related tasks
    or data processing. Advanced/expert users are implementing
    programming languages, building developer tools, systems and formal
    methods. This is reflected in other breakdowns for example in
    ["other fluent languages"] we see JS more popular with beginners and
    C with experts. But also track the progress of *Coq and friends*
    moving up as proficiency increases. This is quite interesting and I
    think it could point to an actionable item of working more on the
    web and formal methods components of the OCaml ecosystem
    i.e. working with Coq devs and JS devs to help them.
  • From a Javascript point-of-view, looking at the [implementations]
    section it's interesting to note across the four proficiency levels
    `js_of_ocaml' is more popular than `Reason' except for
    beginners. Both projects are actively worked on, but perhaps more
    `js_of_ocaml' documentation would be good with many tools already
    existing like [gen_js_api], Jane Street's [bonsai] etc. In my
    opinion, this survey motivates working on unifying the JS world of
    OCaml as (at least to me) right now it feels a little fragmented and
    hard for someone new to know where to go.
  • [Opam with the public repository] across all users is consistently
    the most used installation method – this justifies the large amount
    of work that tasks place on [opam] that I'm sure most are very
    grateful for. Tying this back to the previous point of "cross
    community" work, opam have [community meetings] which seem to be
    v. useful.
  • Pain points – the top two (although they interchange) is "lack of
    critical libraries" and "too hard to find and hire OCaml
    developers". Some [effort has been made] to find these libraries
    including in the survey. I'm not sure what else can be done. As for
    hiring, looking at the different [communication channels] there is
    quite a spread with different users using different channels. This
    is great, but may also cause some fragmentation and make the
    "hiring" process worse.

  These are just some thoughts from a relatively new OCaml community
  member, I would love to know what other actionable steps people think
  we can take from this data and hopefully we can produce a more concise
  and specific set of steps to put this survey to great use :))

[code is here]
<https://github.com/patricoferris/ocaml-survey-analysis/blob/main/survey-analysis.ipynb>

[HTML version of the notebook here]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/>

[Everybody wants better documentation for user libraries]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#State-of-the-Art->

[odoc] <https://github.com/ocaml/odoc>

[OCaml workshop video] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyZ-KveN-w>

[multicore is coming along amazingly]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/the-status-of-modular-implicits/6680>

[implicits]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/the-status-of-modular-implicits/6680>

[A wide variety of application domains]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#Fluency-in-other-languages-&-Application-domains->

["other fluent languages"]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#Fluency-in-other-languages-&-Application-domains->

[implementations]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#OCaml-Tools->

[gen_js_api] <https://github.com/LexiFi/gen_js_api>

[bonsai] <https://github.com/janestreet/bonsai>

[Opam with the public repository]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#OCaml-Tools->

[opam] <https://github.com/ocaml/opam/projects/1>

[community meetings]
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Community-dev-meetings>

[effort has been made]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/what-libraries-are-missing/6543>

[communication channels]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/#Community-Interaction->

After many replies, Patrick Ferris said
───────────────────────────────────────

  Thanks for the great suggestions so quickly! I'll also set aside some
  time to summarise everything once some more ideas are posted and there
  is general consensus.

        I believe a common theme among the comments in the survey
        is a lack of structure found in documentation, libraries,
        and critical build tools

  Completely agree – documentation is fundamental as it is felt by most
  I feel. The limitations of build-tools are perhaps more felt by more
  advanced or complicated workflows.

        curated Opam repos

  This sound really interesting – from experience I think quite a few
  beginners are unfamiliar with the ability of having multiple repos. I
  certainly was until I started cross-compiling to RISC-V :)) I think a
  good example curated repo would help drive this home more, do you know
  if one exists beyond the cross-compiling ones which aren't exactly
  what we're looking for?

        Use sourcegraph and other code search mechanisms to
        surface all the work in progress (WIP) libraries that
        people have put together on github/gitlab/etc

  This sounds good. I do wonder if more
  documentation/tutorials/awareness of [dune-release] and [opam-publish]
  might also help. I, for one, am sitting on a few libraries I should
  really publish but the process can be a little intimidating, so I
  still agree a search would be great but ultimately it would be good
  for libraries to make it upstream.

        Thanks for this great analysis

  Thanks for the kind words :))

        Is GSoC still a thing?

  Not in a position to start making GSoC proposals but they are
  definitely still a thing! For example [two] [projects] I think are
  great, still do them. Even outside of GSoC perhaps a curated list of
  OCaml Community approved projects/internships that would benefit the
  whole community would be good that different
  businesses/organisations/foundations could use when making their own
  internships would be useful? At least everyone would be united on that
  front.

[dune-release] <https://github.com/ocamllabs/dune-release>

[opam-publish] <https://github.com/ocaml-opam/opam-publish>

[two]
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2019/organizations/5422734538964992/>

[projects] <https://www.lowrisc.org/docs/gsoc-2020-ideas/>

gasche then said
────────────────

  Note: I "split" the [excellent discussion] by @patrickoferris as a
  separate topic, as it was going in the (very useful) direction of
  discussing broadly the ecosystem, rather than specifically the survey
  result. I would encourage people to post here for specific details on
  the survey process and results, and create new topics for discussions
  inspired by the survey.

  Let me quote below the part of @patricoferris' post that would be most
  useful to anyone interested in processing the results:

        I think it's quite important to take the results from this
        survey and find actionable items (or highlight ongoing
        efforts) which aim to improve different problems for
        different users. As a result I have put together some
        graphs trying to categorise the answers based on
        proficiency (`beginner', `intermediate', `advanced' and
        `expert'). These groupings are quite subjective but I
        thought it might offer a slightly more nuanced look into
        what problems users had, where they come from, what they
        are doing and what commonalities they share. The [code is
        here] and the [HTML version of the notebook here] (I'm no
        data-scientist nor python developer :snake: if you see
        glaring mistakes do raise an issue!).

  The [new topic] has excellent discussion on Patrick's findings from
  the survey data.

[excellent discussion]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/suggestions-from-the-ocaml-survey-result/>

[code is here]
<https://github.com/patricoferris/ocaml-survey-analysis/blob/main/survey-analysis.ipynb>

[HTML version of the notebook here]
<https://patricoferris.github.io/ocaml-survey-analysis/>

[new topic]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/suggestions-from-the-ocaml-survey-result/>

Suggestions from the OCaml Survey result
════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/suggestions-from-the-ocaml-survey-result/6791/14>

Anil Madhavapeddy said in this new thread
─────────────────────────────────────────

  Thanks Patrick for the fantastic distillation of results.  It's
  extremely useful to see our user responses segmented by their
  experience. (in particular, our self-identified expert userbase runs
  Coq a lot more than our self-identified newcomer codebase who tend to
  use JavaScript – we want to make sure we continue to help all of these
  segments!).

  At a high level, this survey has already influenced the Platform tool
  developers.  Documentation has been identified as a priority item for
  next year, and so a couple of next steps are happening this week
  already among the various groups:

  • The regular odoc [developer meeting] this week will also feature the
    opam team as part of our [community dev meetings], and we are
    getting together to put the final plan together to put a
    docs.ocaml.org site together.  The results of this will be on the
    dev wiki as usual, so anyone interested can track progress and
    suggest ideas (the video meetings are not exactly closed, but fully
    open participation isn't practical given the constraints of current
    technology – please ping the odoc maintainer @jonludlam directly if
    interested in attending)

  • the second part of a docs site is to ensure we have really reliable
    and solid workflows for opam-repo contributions (including bulk
    builds, health checks and having a more automated contribution
    process, ideally without having to run a CLI tool).  The next opam
    dev meeting [later this week] will feature us planning a switch to a
    [cluster-based nextgen CI] for opam-respository.  We've also invited
    the maintainers of the Coq opam repository as well as Tezos and Jane
    Street (who contribute large package sets regularly) so we can
    ensure we work well with those ecosystems as well.  Our intention
    here is to really reduce the burden on contributions to opam
    repository by mechanising as much of the grunt work as possible,
    thereby helping both beginners and expert users.  Our new CI will
    also feature macOS and Windows testing as we bring those cluster
    workers online, and be much more easily extensible to custom
    workflows.

  • Having all the fancy package cluster builds in the world don't help
    if noone is actually writing any documentation in their
    libraries. We're hoping that new tools (such as [mdx] from Real
    World OCaml) will reduce the friction of entry to writing ocamldoc
    tutorials and sites. The mdx tool usage is easy but the
    implementation is quite complex (due to the interlock with the
    internal compiler-libs), so there is a [mdx team] working away on
    it, including hopefully speeding it up with native code compilation
    and continuing to improve the integration with dune and other build
    tools.  @yminsky and I use mdx to write the whole of Real World
    OCaml (v2 of which is coming out soon in print), and we are most
    eager for other people to fork our tools and write their own books
    (like the [Owl scientific computing book]).

  • Finally, @ashish @gemmag and I have been putting our heads together
    to get funding sorted to reboot the ocaml.org site and make it
    easier to maintain, in recognition of the fact that the "old guard"
    (Christophe, Ashish, Phillippe, myself) just don't have the
    day-to-day time anymore to keep things up. @patricoferris, @kanishka
    @sanette Bella and @JohnWhitington have all been contributing
    content to ocaml.org, and we are doing both incremental changes and
    also overhauling the internals of how it is built to use the latest
    and greatest innovations.  I'm excited to see what all these new
    contributors will come up with.

  This is of course not a closed list of action items – simply what I am
  tracking as the coordinator of the OCaml Platform efforts – so please
  keep suggestions and analysis flowing.

  I would suggest one good way to "wrap up" the survey is to:
  • transfer @patricoferris' notebook over to the `ocaml/' GitHub org.
  • once the discussions and next steps here settle (both from
    individual comments, and also the aggregated decisions of the
    various Platform teams like the opam, odoc and dune maintainers),
    some combination of @patricoferris @xavierleroy @gasche and myself
    summarise them in that notebook as priority items we would like to
    accomplish next year.
  • we publicise the survey results notebook and conclusions on
    ocaml.org and this forum prominently.
  • we figure out a way to get more people involved and contributing in
    concrete projects around documentation (in particular) next year,
    perhaps via schemes such as Outreachy or direct funding from
    organisations such as the OCSF.

  Thanks to everyone for the input and comments so far. If anyone has a
  burning desire to be in any of the dev meetings, please get in touch
  with me directly (anil at recoil.org) or the maintainers of the
  individual tool.  I've never seen this much activity happening in all
  my time working on OCaml, so it warms my heart on this crisp winters
  day to see all the constructive positivity and effort going on.  Keep
  it up and keep the suggestions coming :slight_smile:

[developer meeting] <https://github.com/ocaml/odoc/wiki>

[community dev meetings]
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Community-dev-meetings>

[later this week]
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Community-dev-meetings#20112020-opam-repo-testing-and-handling-and-bulk-builds>

[cluster-based nextgen CI]
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcCUZ9i-ug&list=PLKO_ZowsIOu5fHjRj0ua7_QWE_L789K_f&index=2>

[mdx] <https://github.com/realworldocaml/mdx>

[mdx team] <https://github.com/realworldocaml/mdx/wiki>

[Owl scientific computing book]
<https://ocaml.xyz/book/introduction.html>

OCaml for ARM MacOS
═══════════════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocaml-for-arm-macos/6019/20>

Continuing this thread, John Whitington said
────────────────────────────────────────────

  OCaml 4.12 from trunk builds fine on ARM macOS for me, and I can build
  all my software, including mixed C/OCaml DLLs and other exotic things.

  For those interested in timings, "make -j9 world.opt" for OCaml runs
  in 1m6s.

TechEmpower benchmark: httpaf + lwt + unix on par with Haskell's warp
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/techempower-benchmark-httpaf-lwt-unix-on-par-with-haskells-warp/6788/1>

blandinw announced
──────────────────

  The recent talks around this benchmark (started by @rbjorklin) and the
  OCaml results piqued my curiosity. After all, one of OCaml's strengths
  is its performance! It should smoke node.js and be in the same
  ballpark as Haskell, Go, etc., right? Well, only one way to find out!

  To start simple, I wanted to establish a baseline using a pre-forking
  approach with a listening socket shared by all children and go from
  there. It turns out I didn't need to go far at all. This simple
  architecture was enough to leave node.js in the dust and get results
  similar to Haskell and Go. This says a lot about the current quality
  of OCaml and the ecosystem we have today! Handshakes all around!  🍺🐫

  You can find the results for the [JSON benchmark here].  Be sure to
  check the Latency tab. Note that a lot of the top performers optimize
  aggressively by precomputing responses, using object pools, etc.

  From my limited testing, the big difference with the previous OCaml
  attempts might be that they had to use (the otherwise amazing)
  `haproxy' to load-balance between all cores. Pre-forking and sharing a
  socket removes that need, so that all cores can do useful work. I also
  had some fun using `SIGALRM' to render the date only once per second.

  As a side note, it was my first time using these UNIX APIs from OCaml
  and it was an eye-opening experience to be able to leverage all that
  power outside of C and without giving up any of OCaml's strengths.

  I'm happy with the results, but it should be possible to improve even
  further by:
  • profiling with `perf' to know where time is spent, e.g. in JSON
    encoding, allocations, GC, context switches, etc.
  • using `libuv' instead of `libev', maybe via [this PR to Lwt]
  • using [Multicore domains] to use a pre-threaded architecture as
    opposed to a pre-forked architecture and hopefully reduce context
    switch costs, see [Linux Applications Performance]

  Contributing is pretty easy, just clone [this repo] and run `./tfb
  --test httpaf --type json --concurrency-levels 512'.

[JSON benchmark here]
<https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=test&runid=032630e0-3a86-4eac-ae2d-517e8b9586ac&hw=ph&test=json&a=2>

[this PR to Lwt] <https://github.com/ocsigen/lwt/pull/811>

[Multicore domains] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YZR1q8wzI>

[Linux Applications Performance]
<https://unixism.net/2019/04/linux-applications-performance-part-vi-polling-servers/>

[this repo] <https://github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks>

Dropbox v2 API, and JSoO bindings for GridJS and IndexedDB
══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-dropbox-v2-api-and-jsoo-bindings-for-gridjs-and-indexeddb/6793/1>

Xavier R. Guérin announced
──────────────────────────

  I am releasing on GitHub today a set of libraries under ISC:

  1. `xguerin/ocaml-dropbox': Dropbox v2 API. `auth', `check', and
     `files' operations are available, the rest is WIP.
  2. `xguerin/ocaml-dropbox': JSoO bindings for [gridjs.io].
  3. `xguerin/ocaml-indexeddb': JSoO bindings for `IndexedDB'. Based on
     Thomas Leonard's work with `Irmin'.

  Each of them is OPAM-enabled although not currently available in the
  official repo.

[gridjs.io] <https://gridjs.io>

OCaml in Jupyter-based Environments
═══════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocaml-in-jupyter-based-environments/6797/1>

Patrick Ferris announced
────────────────────────

  As @CraigFe said, this conversation might be useful for other people
  looking to run OCaml for teaching or data-science in a Jupyter-based
  environments. Continuing the discussion from [Suggestions from the
  OCaml Survey result] where [binder] was mentioned, this looks like a
  neat way to lower the barrier to entry for programming in OCaml.

  To add to what @mseri asked:

        Do you know if and how one can use ocaml on colab? In
        principle there is support for the jupyter protocol…

  You can but it is a bit hacky. You first need to generate a blank
  `ocaml.ipynb' locally and upload this to colabs, this will enable you
  to select `Runtime > Change Runtime Type > Runtime Selection' to
  OCaml.  Then you need to install OCaml, jupyter and add the
  kernel. This code block did the trick for me:

  ┌────
  │ !add-apt-repository ppa:avsm/ppa && apt-get update && apt-get install opam m4 libgmp-dev
  │ !opam init --disable-sandboxing -y
  │ !opam install jupyter
  │ !opam exec -- ocaml-jupyter-opam-genspec
  │ !jupyter kernelspec install --user --name ocaml-jupyter "$(opam var share)/jupyter"
  └────

  It takes quite a while and I'm not really going to recommend it, but
  it does work.

  I also put together a few [dockerfiles]() with the purpose of being
  used in jupyter environments for teaching. Also with an example of
  using [nbgrader] although I think this still needs some work (it's
  based on @kayceesrk's [blog post]). Are people using other setups for
  teaching OCaml in a classroom/university setting?

  As a small aside, I started doing the survey analysis in OCaml, but
  found two issues:

  1. CSV loading with OWL was struggling (I think it struggled with the
     extra `,' in questions and also didn't like multiple headers with
     the same name – other libraries I think just add the column number
     to make it unique), I ended up using the [csv] library and then
     making the dataframe by hand.
  2. The plotting library is good, but lacks the customisability that
     something like Matplotlib offers. I did start using the very good
     [ocaml-matplotlib bindings] but it all became a little too much
     effort… :snake:

[Suggestions from the OCaml Survey result]
<https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/suggestions-from-the-ocaml-survey-result/6791/13>

[binder] <https://mybinder.org/>

[nbgrader]
<https://github.com/patricoferris/ocaml-teaching/tree/main/teaching>

[blog post]
<https://kcsrk.info/ocaml/prolog/jupyter/notebooks/2020/01/19/OCaml-Prolog-Jupyter/>

[csv] <https://github.com/Chris00/ocaml-csv>

[ocaml-matplotlib bindings]
<https://github.com/LaurentMazare/ocaml-matplotlib/>

Anton Kochkov suggested
───────────────────────

  Another project that is probably a better inspiration for OCaml-based
  workflow - [Pluto.jl] that is written in Julia itself.

  See [Pluto presentation (20 min) at *Juliacon 2020*].

[Pluto.jl] <https://github.com/fonsp/Pluto.jl>

[Pluto presentation (20 min) at *Juliacon 2020*]
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAF8DjrQSSk>

Anil Madhavapeddy replied to Patrick Ferris
───────────────────────────────────────────

        Are people using other setups for teaching OCaml in a
        classroom/university setting?

  We use Jupyter and nbgrader in Cambridge for the first year
  Foundations of Programming course:
  <https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/1920/FoundsCS/materials.html> (the
  pdf is generated from the Jupyter export, and the content is written
  in Markdown and converted to notebook format using a [modified mdx]).

  It's on my todo list to resurrect
  <https://github.com/andrewray/iocamljs> so that we can do this with a
  pure-client-side experience.  We have internal hosted servers so that
  each student has their own container running their Jupyter/OCaml
  kernel, but I think it would be more robust to switch entirely client
  side for everything except exercise grading.

[modified mdx] <https://github.com/realworldocaml/mdx/pull/124>

Philippe asked and Anil Madhavapeddy replied
────────────────────────────────────────────

        This tool shows the interpreter outputs but can also
        render graphics in the page. Do you have plans to include
        a similar feature in mdx? (I’m asking because if this is
        the case, I’d be happy to lend a hand).

  Doesn't support it, and that sounds awesome. @jonludlam did something
  involving registering OCaml toplevel printers that can output HTML
  that renders in a notebook (so you can pipe a `type tree = ...'
  through dot to render it graphically). Never upstreamed that work I
  think.  Feel free to create an issue on the mdx repo – I think the
  utility of it will increase dramatically if it can create notebooks!

        I have to say though, writing ocaml code in a markdown
        document is not very convenient since you don’t have
        merlin+syntax highlighting helping you. Ideally we’d need
        an environment that knows both markdown and ocaml very
        well…

  Yes indeed, mdx supports this mode too. In Real World OCaml, we have
  all our examples as separate files that can have `dune build' run on
  them, and then `mdx' supports external references as well.  See for
  example the [JSON chapter in RWO]: you just add a `file=' block into
  the Markdown, and the dune promotion rules will either run the
  toplevel or include the external ML file and update the Markdown
  content automatically.

[JSON chapter in RWO]
<https://github.com/realworldocaml/book/blob/master/book/json/README.md>

Jon Ludlam said
───────────────

  Registering 'rich' printers with Jupyter is a standard feature of the
  wonderful [ocaml-jupyter] (thanks, @akabe!)  - you just register a
  printer as normal that ends up calling [Jupyter_notebook.display].  I
  have a couple of examples [here] for displaying trees – the one you
  mentioned – and ppm files. It would be very neat to be able to do
  something similar for mdx, and probably not too tricky too. Perhaps a
  good starter project?

[ocaml-jupyter] <https://github.com/akabe/ocaml-jupyter>

[Jupyter_notebook.display]
<https://akabe.github.io/ocaml-jupyter/api/jupyter/Jupyter_notebook/index.html#val-display>

[here] <https://github.com/jonludlam/focs-support/tree/master/lib>

Ocurrent/opam Docker images have moved to ocaml/opam
════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocurrent-opam-docker-images-have-moved-to-ocaml-opam/6798/1>

Thomas Leonard announced
────────────────────────

  The [docker base image builder] has been reconfigured to push the
  images to the `ocaml/opam' repository on Docker Hub.

  If you were previously using the `ocurrent/opam' repository, you
  should update to the new location. The `ocurrent/opam' repository will
  not get any further updates.

  The images provide many combinations of distribution, OCaml version,
  architecture and flags. e.g. to get an environment with OCaml 4.11
  installed on Debian 10:

  ┌────
  │ docker run --rm -it ocaml/opam:debian-10-ocaml-4.11
  └────

  Or to try the 4.12 pre-release, compiled with AFL fuzzing support,
  you'd use `ocaml/opam:debian-10-ocaml-4.12-afl'.

  (the full set of builds can be seen at the service's page at
  <https://base-images.ocamllabs.io/>)

[docker base image builder]
<https://github.com/ocurrent/docker-base-images>

Christian Lindig then said
──────────────────────────

  I recently looked at `ocaml/opam:debian-10-ocaml-4.09' and noticed
  that in the root of the image the Dockerfiles were included that
  generated the image. I'm not sure that was always the case but found
  that helpful.

ocaml-lsp-server 1.2.0
══════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-ocaml-lsp-server-1-2-0/6799/1>

Rudi Grinberg announced
───────────────────────

  On behalf of the ocaml-lsp team, I'd like to announce version 1.2.0.

  This version contains many bug fixes and some performance improvements
  A couple of interesting features made it in as well:

  • Auto-completion of OCaml keywords (not available for reaso)
  • The ability to jump to the declaration of a value in the .mli.

Yawar Amin added
────────────────

  Release page: <https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml-lsp/releases/tag/1.2.0>

ca-certs and ca-certs-nss
═════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-ca-certs-and-ca-certs-nss/6804/1>

Hannes Mehnert announced
────────────────────────

  I'm pleased to announce the release two opam packages, [ca-certs] and
  [ca-certs-nss], which use the trust anchors from the system / embed
  trust anchors from [Netscape Security Services] (these days used by
  the Mozilla Firefox browser).

  For some context: when establishing a TLS connection you likely want
  to verify that the server provides a valid certificate – on the open
  world wide web this boils down to "is valid at the current time" and
  "is signed by a trustworthy entity" (such as
  <https://letsencrypt.org/> - which validates that you have access to
  the domain before signing a certificate). If you do not verify the
  server certificate, a person may be in the middle of the connection
  and read and modify arbitrary communication content. Read more about
  [this topic on Wikipedia]. NB in private setups you can use your own
  CA setup and won't need ca-certs / ca-certs-nss.

  Now, different operating systems store this information in different
  places and formats – for Unix (and Linux) there is unfortunately no
  common API or file location. To abstract over this, the package
  ca-certs provides the API `val authenticator : [...] -> unit ->
  (X509.Authenticator.t, [> `Msg of string ]) result' – which composes
  well with OCaml-TLS API for TLS clients (that receive such an
  authenticator).

  The ca-certs package has initially been implemented by @emillon in
  2019, and only recently been pushed to opam-repository. If you're
  using a not-so-mainstream Linux distribution (or other Unix), we're
  interested in your feedback: does a `dune runtest' work on your
  system? – it has been tested apart from debian, ubuntu, SuSE, CentOS,
  also on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and macOS. The macOS support uses the
  `security' command, and could be improved by using appropriate API
  calls – there is no support for Windows at the moment (if you're
  interested in contributing support for windows, [it should be pretty
  straightfoward]).

  The ca-certs-nss package uses the same versioning scheme as NSS, and
  embeds the trust anchors that your Firefox browser has as well. This
  is meant as alternative to ca-certs (e.g. if you're on a system which
  is not (yet) supported by ca-certs), or in a MirageOS unikernel (where
  there's no access to the host trust anchors).

  We're interested in your feedback, and hope by releasing those
  libraries to improve the security of network clients across the OCaml
  ecosystem by providing a simple API to authenticate server
  certificates. If you're running into issues, please don't hesitate to
  reach out.

  To install, `opam install ca-certs' / `opam install ca-certs-nss' is
  all you need.

[ca-certs] <https://github.com/mirage/ca-certs>

[ca-certs-nss] <https://github.com/mirage/ca-certs-nss>

[Netscape Security Services]
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS>

[this topic on Wikipedia]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority>

[it should be pretty straightfoward]
<https://github.com/mirage/ca-certs/issues/4>

Compatibility packages for 4.12 (either, semaphore-compat)
══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-compatibility-packages-for-4-12-either-semaphore-compat/6806/1>

Craig Ferguson announced
────────────────────────

  I'm pleased to announce the release of two small compatibility
  libraries for modules added in OCaml 4.12.0:

  • [`either'] – compatibility shims for the [`Either'] module, which
    provides a canonical sum type in the standard library + various
    utility functions for it. To use it: simply add `either' as a
    library dependency and refer to the `Either' module, which will
    either alias the `Either' provided by the standard library or
    re-implement it as appropriate.

  • [`semaphore-compat'] – compatibility shims for the [`Semaphore']
    module in `systhreads', which provides binary and counting
    semaphores for use in multi-threaded programs. To use it: add
    `semaphore-compat' as a library dependency and `open
    Semaphore_compat' in any module that requires semaphores.

  *_Note on OCaml concurrency primitives_*. Users of OCaml's `Mutex'
  module should beware that OCaml 4.12 features a changes to mutex
  semantics on certain platforms, since the mutexes are now "error
  checking" (as noted in the [changelog]). One consequence of this is
  that **unlocking a mutex from a non-owning thread will now always
  fail**, whereas previously this might succeed depending on the
  platform's mutex implementation – notably, `glibc''s mutexes allow
  this. If your code relies on this property of pre-4.12 mutexes, you
  may wish to add a dependency on `semaphore-compat' and switch to using
  binary semaphores instead (as these provide the right flavour of
  concurrency primitive in a POSIX-compatible manner).

  Opam library authors making use of these compatibility libraries in
  their public API are encouraged to [conditionally depend] on them in
  order to ensure that downstream users of your library don't pull in
  unnecessary compatibility shims. This can be done as follows:

  ┌────
  │ depends: [
  │   ("ocaml" {>= "4.12.0"} | "either")
  │ ]
  └────

  I hope you find these libraries useful!

[`either'] <https://github.com/mirage/either>

[`Either'] <https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/trunk/stdlib/either.mli>

[`semaphore-compat'] <https://github.com/mirage/semaphore-compat>

[`Semaphore']
<https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/trunk/otherlibs/systhreads/semaphore.mli>

[changelog] <https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/trunk/Changes#L329>

[conditionally depend]
<https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Manual.html#Package-Formulas>

Hannes Mehnert then asked
─────────────────────────

  Thanks for your work on this.

        are encouraged to [conditionally depend]

  While I understand at the opam level how this could work, what about
  `_tags' or `dune' – there's need to repeat that condition (since in
  OCaml < 4.12 you'll need `(libraries either)' in your dune file / `*:
  package(either)' in your `_tags' file (+in your `META' file) – or is
  there something obvious I misunderstand?

  I'm asking since I'd be interested in a general strategy / howto of
  such compatibility libraries. I'm also curious why there are different
  approaches in respect to package name and strategy:
  • stdlib-shims (seems to (attempt to) cover all stdlib changes?)
  • bigarray-compat (there's a `-compat' suffix)
  • seq (there's a `seq.base' for ocaml >= 4.07.0)

  Are there plans to unify the approaches? I'm in favour of a
  "conditional dependency if the OCaml distribution does not yet provide
  the module" and "no dependency if the OCaml distribution provides that
  module" – but as expressed above, I think this is needed both at the
  opam and the ocamlfind / library level.

[conditionally depend]
<https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Manual.html#Package-Formulas>

Craig Ferguson replied
──────────────────────

  To begin, I'll fill out my reasons for recommending conditional
  dependencies somewhat.

Compatibility libraries and unconditional dependencies
╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

  The issue with unconditionally depending on compatibility libraries is
  that it forces users to take on that implicit dependency – even if
  they don't need it – and ties that decision to the _current_ minimal
  version supported by one of their dependencies. This prevents use of
  `(implicit_transitive_deps false)' in those downstream libraries,
  since the authors cannot know whether they actually depend on the
  alias transitively. For instance:

  • `lwt' currently depends on `result' unconditionally (to retain
    support for `4.02.0');

  • as an author of `irmin' – which goes back to `4.08.0' and so always
    has access to `Stdlib.Result' – I must be able to resolve the
    `Lwt_result.t' type, but I don't in general know which dependencies
    are necessary to do that since it's a property of `Lwt''s code and
    not mine.

  • I must either add an explicit dependency on `result' – because
    that's what's _currently_ necessary given `Lwt''s own dependencies –
    or give up on using `(implicit_transitive_deps false)'
    entirely. Either way, if I myself expose a `result' type in the API
    of Irmin, this problem cascades to users of Irmin too.

  For Lwt specifically, I need to find the time to upstream a patch to
  fix the issue: <https://github.com/ocsigen/lwt/issues/794>.

Conditional dependencies and Dune
╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

  It's possible to conditionally depend on a library on the Dune side
  via either a [`(select ... from ...)'] dependency or by generating
  Dune files programatically (either w/ `(include dune.inc)' or
  [`Jbuild_plugin']). None of these solutions are particularly
  compelling to me, but I've been bitten by this problem enough to be
  willing to consider ugly solutions – at least for very widely-used
  libraries such as Alcotest.

  It's possible that conditional dependencies are the wrong approach
  altogether and we should be using something like [`(re_exports)']
  instead. I'm not familiar with that feature, but it looks like it
  might work to avoid the above issues. Perhaps a Dune maintainer could
  weigh in here, and I'll happily remove my suggestion re. conditional
  dependencies for something better :slightly_smiling_face:

[`(select ... from ...)']
<https://dune.readthedocs.io/en/stable/concepts.html#alternative-dependencies>

[`Jbuild_plugin']
<https://dune.readthedocs.io/en/stable/advanced-topics.html#ocaml-syntax>

[`(re_exports)'] <https://github.com/ocaml/dune/pull/2605>

Different approaches to compatibility libraries
╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

        I’m asking since I’d be interested in a general strategy /
        howto of such compatibility libraries. I’m also curious
        why there are different approaches in respect to package
        name and strategy:
        • stdlib-shims (seems to (attempt to) cover all stdlib
          changes?)
        • bigarray-compat (there’s a `-compat' suffix)
        • seq (there’s a `seq.base' for ocaml >= 4.07.0)

  Indeed, there are quite a few different mechanisms used for this. Even
  just for this release, `either' and `semaphore-compat' use different
  techniques! Partly this is because it's easier to shim modules in
  `Stdlib' since it is the default-opened library. In particular,
  `Either' can exist without a namespace collision, and the
  _implementation_ of `either' can refer to `Stdlib.Either' to avoid
  Dune getting confused about a self-referential module. This is the
  approach that was taken with the `result' compatability package too.

  Unfortunately, the above factors don't apply to `Semaphore', which is
  why I grudgingly settled on `semaphore-compat' instead. I'm not sure
  why the `Bigarray' compat module didn't take the more "direct"
  approach, but I was happy to be consistent with it.

  One final point: the `stdlib-shims' library exists _solely_ to provide
  the alias `Stdlib' ↦ `Pervasives' in order to compensate for the name
  change. It doesn't ever provide re-implementations of the modules and
  functions that were added since (and so really is a `-shim' and not a
  `-compat'). A user of `stdlib-shims' is still restricted to the set of
  stdlib functions provided by their minimal supported OCaml version.

Jupyter with pyml
═════════════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/jupyter-with-pyml/6813/1>

n4323 asked
───────────

  Hi, I would like to achieve something similar to, but different from
  what is discussed in
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocaml-in-jupyter-based-environments/6797>
  . tl; dr: How can I get python REPL access to OCaml values exported
  via `pyml'?

  The use case is this: I have an OCaml library that does
  machine-learning type computation. I would like to generate, plot and
  analyze the results interactively, with the best possible ease of use
  and flexibility. For the plotting and analysis I want to use Python.

  I have tried `ocaml-jupyter', which provides a nice notebook
  environment but no python kernel and the very useful
  `ocaml-matplotlib' which offers a matplotlib binding but cannot cover
  all my python library needs.

  A possible solution would be to use `pyml' and its numpy array
  memmapping support to export OCaml values to a python process. The
  problem here is that I can't find a way to interact with the python
  process spawned from `pyml' in an interactive python console. I am
  thinking there should be some way to spawn a Jupyter python kernel
  from `pyml' and then access that from a separate jupyter console. I
  have not been able to find one by googling though.

  Another solution might be to wrap my OCaml library as an external
  python module. I'm afraid that this may be painful – please convince
  me otherwise ;)

Craig Ferguson
──────────────

  You may be interested in this post on the Jane Street tech blog:

        [*Using Python and OCaml in the same Jupyter notebook*],
        by Laurent Mazare (@laurent).

  which offers some general tips and some bespoke tooling (showcased in
  <https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1MDuZc0v60lzBg0_xeiPR-bB6dCIWxvzT>). I
  have found this very useful in the past when trying to do Python +
  OCaml interop in Jupyter notebooks.

[*Using Python and OCaml in the same Jupyter notebook*]
<https://blog.janestreet.com/using-python-and-ocaml-in-the-same-jupyter-notebook/>

OCaml needs an arbitrary-precision decimal type
═══════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocaml-needs-an-arbitrary-precision-decimal-type/6735/6>

Yaron Minsky announced
──────────────────────

  Our Bigdecimal library is now live:

  <https://github.com/janestreet/bigdecimal>

  It won't be in the ordinary Opam repo until our next stable release,
  which is scheduled for early 2021.

Type-at-point ocaml-lsp/merlin in vim/neovim
════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/type-at-point-ocaml-lsp-merlin-in-vim-neovim/6832/1>

Nicolas Gimenez discussed
─────────────────────────

  I'd like to know whether ocaml-lsp supports type-at-point feature? The
  point is to display to the user the type at point inferred by the
  compiler.  I think this functionality already exists in Merlin for a
  while: [merlin-show-type-at-point], and I've read [articles] talking
  about people's corresponding lsp-mode/merlin Emacs config.  How about
  VIM? Is it integrated in ocaml-lsp already? From looking on GitHub, it
  seems it's not, but then how come people manage to integrate it in
  Emacs' lsp-mode?

[merlin-show-type-at-point] <https://github.com/ocaml/merlin/issues/6>

[articles] <https://khady.info/emacs-ocaml-lsp.html>

mudrz replied
─────────────

  I am using `neovim' and the following config:

  in `.vimrc'
  ┌────
  │ Plug 'sheerun/vim-polyglot'
  │ Plug 'neoclide/coc.nvim', {'branch': 'release'}
  │
  │ nnoremap <silent> gh :call <SID>show_documentation()<CR>
  │
  │ function! s:show_documentation()
  │   if (index(['vim','help'], &filetype) >= 0)
  │     execute 'h '.expand('<cword>')
  │   else
  │     call CocAction('doHover')
  │   endif
  │ endfunction
  └────

  and in `:CocConfig':
  ┌────
  │ "languageserver":{
  │   "ocaml": {
  │     "command": "ocamllsp",
  │     "rootPatterns": ["dune-project"],
  │     "filetypes": ["ocaml"],
  │     "initializationOptions": {},
  │     "settings": {}
  │   }
  │ }
  └────

  which allows to show a type tooltip like this when you press `gh`
  <https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/standard11/uploads/ocaml/optimized/2X/9/943c5e3dbeb3f4d92bfc905a57d9ef2cfc339317_2_1380x150.png>

Raphaël Proust also replied
───────────────────────────

  In my `.config/nvim/init.vim' I have the default things setup by opam
  and then (amongst other things):

  ┌────
  │ autocmd FileType ocaml nnoremap <LocalLeader>t :MerlinTypeOf<CR>
  └────

ocamlearlybird now an OCaml Software Foundation supported project
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-ocamlearlybird-now-an-ocaml-software-foundation-supported-project/6834/1>

文宇祥 announced
────────────────

  I’m happy to announce ocamlearlybird now an OCaml Software Foundation
  supported project.

  We will continue to develop/maintain ocamlearlybird, and may
  contribute to ocamlrun/ocaml to improve/achieve OCaml bytecode/native
  debugging support.

  Please expect that OCaml debugging experience will be as good as
  Javascript in the future.

Louis Roché then said
─────────────────────

  I suppose that you are referring to
  <https://github.com/hackwaly/ocamlearlybird>

  That's a great news. Thanks for your work.

release of mc2 0.1, a SMT solver
════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-release-of-mc2-0-1-a-smt-solver/6835/1>

Simon Cruanes announced
───────────────────────

  I'm happy to announce the initial release 0.1 of [mc2], a [SMT solver]
  in pure OCaml based on the mcSAT framework. It can handle the QF_UFLRA
  fragment (functions and linear rational arithmetic). It is more of a
  research project than a production ready solver, but has pretty
  acceptable performance (see for examples benchmarks on [QF_UFLRA] and
  [QF_LRA] with timeout=10s).

  The solver is Apache licensed and weights around 7kloc (+ a few basic
  dependencies). Questions or comments welcome :slight_smile:

[mc2] <https://github.com/c-cube/mc2>

[SMT solver]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfiability_modulo_theories>

[QF_UFLRA]
<https://benchpress.cedeela.fr/show/res-20201117T131950-cfa5920b-5187-4d73-8f5b-00b5c77aaeb8.sqlite>

[QF_LRA]
<https://benchpress.cedeela.fr/show/res-20201116T203511-687d557c-5c27-4478-9cc2-8b2603820ab6.sqlite>

Wednesday, 25th November 2020 is MirageOS Bug Cleaning Day!
═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-wednesday-25th-november-2020-is-mirageos-bug-cleaning-day/6836/1>

Hannes Mehnert announced
────────────────────────

  We have many repositories that have lots of old and no-longer-relevant
  issues in them (some have even been fixed!) as well as issues that
  haven't gotten a reply yet from a maintainer. In preparation for the
  next release, I think it would be nice to take a day and do some
  housecleaning.

  Our last bug cleaning day was on 17th November 2017, and pretty
  successful.

  On Wednesday, 25th November (in two days) most people of the
  mirage-core team will be going through old issues and coordinating our
  efforts on the #mirage channel over on irc.freenode.net.  I expect
  there to be the most activity during 10:00-18:00 UTC and maybe a bit
  later, but don't feel limited to that timeslot – if you're familiar
  with a repository and have a bit of time, we'd love your help any time
  at all.  Please do join us if you're free! We'll as well be watching
  the OCaml discord #mirage channel
  <https://discord.com/channels/436568060288172042/519199441769594911>

  If you're not sure where to start, here's a link to a GitHub search
  for all issues in repositories owned by the Mirage organization which
  are open and not archived, sorted with the least recently updated
  first, for your editing and browsing pleasure:

  <https://github.com/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+org%3Amirage+archived%3Afalse+sort%3Aupdated-asc>

  If you've a specific issue at your heart that you want to be solved,
  please show up and tell us about it.

Other OCaml News
════════════════

>From the ocamlcore planet blog
──────────────────────────────

  Here are links from many OCaml blogs aggregated at [OCaml Planet].

  • [Editor Support, Custom Operators and More]
  • [Coq 8.12.1 is out]

[OCaml Planet] <http://ocaml.org/community/planet/>

[Editor Support, Custom Operators and More]
<https://rescript-lang.org/blog/editor-support-custom-operators-and-more>

[Coq 8.12.1 is out] <https://coq.inria.fr/news/coq-8-12-1-is-out.html>

Old CWN
═══════

  If you happen to miss a CWN, you can [send me a message] and I'll mail
  it to you, or go take a look at [the archive] or the [RSS feed of the
  archives].

  If you also wish to receive it every week by mail, you may subscribe
  [online].

  [Alan Schmitt]

[send me a message] <mailto:alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org>

[the archive] <http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/>