[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Mon Dec 10 23:42:58 PST 2018

Hello

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of December 04 to 11,
2018.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

ppx_yojson 0.2.0
New release of fix
Interesting OCaml Articles
bs-platform 4.0.8 is released
LablGtk3 beta1
Other OCaml News
Old CWN

ppx_yojson 0.2.0
════════════════

  Archive: [https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-ppx-yojson-0-2-0/3006/1]

Nathan Rebours announced
────────────────────────

  I'm happy to announce I just released version `0.2.0' of `ppx_yojson'.

  `ppx_yojson' is a ppx rewriter that helps you work with `Yojson' by
  allowing you to write concise and expressive json expressions and
  patterns.

  Version `0.2.0' comes with a set of new features which makes it much
  more usable and less proof-of-concepty. This includes a new extension
  to write Yojson patterns and anti-quotation for the expressions
  extension.  Hopefully it will attract more users.

  Full release notes are available [here].

  `ppx_yojson' can be found on [github] and [opam].

  Let me know if you have some feedback or if it lacks anything for you
  to be able to use it!

[here] https://github.com/NathanReb/ppx_yojson/releases/tag/0.2.0

[github] https://github.com/NathanReb/ppx_yojson

[opam] https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/ppx_yojson/

New release of fix
══════════════════

  Archive:
  [https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2018-12/msg00014.html]

François Pottier announced
──────────────────────────

  I would like to announce a new release of fix, an OCaml library that
  provides facilities for memoization, hash-consing, and
  least-fixed-point computations.

  The library can be installed as follows:

  opam update && opam install fix.20181130

  The repository's README offers some documentation and links to demos:

  [https://gitlab.inria.fr/fpottier/fix/]

  In particular, this demo, a conversion of regular expressions to
  finite-state automata by Brzozowski's method, illustrates many of the
  facilities offered by the library:

  [http://gallium.inria.fr/blog/fixin-your-automata/]

François Pottier later added
────────────────────────────

  All right, it should work now – sorry for the noise:

  opam update && opam install fix.20181206

  Thanks to Tuncer Ayaz for reporting the problem and to Kate for
  helping me fix it.

Interesting OCaml Articles
══════════════════════════

  Archive:
  [https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/interesting-ocaml-articles/1867/37]

Yotam Barnoy announced
──────────────────────

  [Presentation on Mirage OS] by our own @dinosaure!

[Presentation on Mirage OS] https://t.co/L6TyfTtQWk

bs-platform 4.0.8 is released
═════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  [https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-bs-platform-4-0-8-is-released/3009/1]

Hongbo Zhang announced
──────────────────────

  A relevant post:
  [https://bucklescript.github.io/blog/2018/12/05/release-4-0-8]

LablGtk3 beta1
══════════════

  Archive:
  [https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2018-12/msg00017.html]

Jacques Garrigue announced
──────────────────────────

  Due to the planned deprecation of gtksourceview2 in Debian, we have
  been working on a stripped down port of LablGtk2 to Gtk-3.

  A first beta is available for download at the usual location:
  	[http://lablgtk.forge.ocamlcore.org]
  	[https://forge.ocamlcore.org/frs/download.php/1769/lablgtk-3.0.beta1.tar.gz]

  There is no opam package yet, because I’m not sure how to do that: I
  seem to need to add a new conf-gtksourceview3 package too, and I’m not
  sure how to proceed. Help accepted.

  Note that this is not the originally planned introspection based port,
  but a manual port of lablgtk2, dropping widgets that are no longer
  available. It is of course possible to add new widgets if people are
  willing to contribute.

  The main goal is to allow application using lablgtksourceview, such as
  CoqIDE, to compile on top of Gtk-3. Since Gtk-2 itself stays
  available, lablgtk2 will continue to be supported for other
  applications.

  The code is in the lablgtk3 branch:
  	[https://github.com/garrigue/lablgtk/tree/lablgtk3]
  There is an ongoing discussion
  	[https://github.com/garrigue/lablgtk/issues/2]

  The current status is that a modified version of CoqIDE compiles and
  runs.

  Please report issues on GitHub.

Other OCaml News
════════════════

From the ocamlcore planet blog
──────────────────────────────

  Here are links from many OCaml blogs aggregated at [OCaml Planet].

  • [Fixin' your automata]

[OCaml Planet] http://ocaml.org/community/planet/

[Fixin' your automata] http://gallium.inria.fr/blog/fixin-your-automata

Old CWN
═══════

  If you happen to miss a CWN, you can [send me a message] and I'll mail
  it to you, or go take a look at [the archive] or the [RSS feed of the
  archives].

  If you also wish to receive it every week by mail, you may subscribe
  [online].

  [Alan Schmitt]

[send me a message] mailto:alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org

[the archive] http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/