[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Jan 5 05:55:11 PST 2016

Hello,

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of December 29, 2015 to January 05, 2016.

1) How to create a local opam repository for offline use?
2) Ocaml Github Pull Requests
3) Other OCaml News

1) How to create a local opam repository for offline use?
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2016-01/msg00008.html>
** François Berenger asked and François Bobot replied:

> What is the current procedure to prepare an opam repository
> so that a machine that has no internet access can still use
> opam ?
>
> Furthermore, is it possible to create a minimal opam repository,
> so also for offline use, but let's say I know only a single
> software with all its dependencies will be installed by the
> offline machine.
> Because, I am foreseeing that downloading all tarballs of all possible
> ocaml software/libraries might exhaust my patience.

The relevant issues are, I think:
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2098>

And a PR that solve some remaining problems with virtual packages:
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/pull/2257>

However I need to rewrite it in order to have something less hackish.

** François Beranger then said:

OK, thanks for the info, so here is a recipe that worked for me:

wget <https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/archive/master.tar.gz>
tar xzf master.tar.gz
cd opam-repository-master
opam-admin make --resolve PKG
# here I needed to remove
# ocamlbuild from the depends field in the opam file of several packages
# so that the solver finally succeed, so opam-admin-make probably has
# a bug
opam repo add offline $PWD
opam repo remove default # then I have only one opam repository setup
# here I turned off my network card
opam update
opam install PKG # worked using tarballs from the local-disk only

2) Ocaml Github Pull Requests
** Gabriel Scherer compiled this list:

Here is a sneak peek at some potential future features of the Ocaml
compiler, discussed by their implementers in these Github Pull Requests.

Do more optimization (part 1)
<https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/391>

3) Other OCaml News
** From the ocamlcore planet blog:

Thanks to Alp Mestan, we now include in the OCaml Weekly News the links to the
recent posts from the ocamlcore planet blog at <http://planet.ocaml.org/>.

Andrej Bauer: A Brown-Palsberg self-interpreter for Gödel?s System T
  <http://math.andrej.com/2016/01/04/a-brown-palsberg-self-interpreter-for-godels-system-t/>

Thomas Leonard: A Unikernel Firewall for QubesOS
  <http://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2016/01/01/a-unikernel-firewall-for-qubesos/>

Old cwn