[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Sep 24 05:28:10 PDT 2013

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of September 17 to 24, 2013.

1) OCaml on Android
2) OCaml release 4.01.0
3) OCaml vs Ada and/or GUI options
4) Beta release of OPAM 1.1.0
5) Ocaml on an embedded arm system (no linux)
6) Call for Talks - Open World Forum / OSDC
7) SIunits 0.1
8) ocaml interface to berkeley db?
9) Other Caml News

1) OCaml on Android
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-09/msg00257.html>
** Jon Harrop asked and Anil Madhavapeddy replied:

> What is the status of OCaml on Android? Have any Android apps been written
> in OCaml?

There's a GitHub OPAM repository here:
<https://github.com/vouillon/opam-android-repository>

and I've just ordered myself my first Android device, as Mirage has just been
ported over to it a few days ago in UNIX mode:
<https://lists.cam.ac.uk/pipermail/cl-mirage/2013-September/msg00062.html>

I haven't tried it myself yet, but intend to once my physical device shows
up. Googling reveals a few applications built using it already, but I have
no idea how substantial they are.

** Thomas Sibut-Pinote also replied:

I'm not sure if this anwers your question, but someone wrote an Ocaml
toplevel for Android:
<http://vernoux.fr/2011/11/11/ocaml-toplevel-for-android/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.vernoux.ocaml>

** Kristopher Micinski  said and Ivan Gotovchits suggested:

> The basic problem with running OCaml on Android is that pretty much
> everything (minus a few system services / daemons, for example) runs
> inside a Dalvik VM.  Everything that is a "real app" thus uses the
> facilities of the SDK to interact with the underlying
> system.  (Various services such as internet can be opened via a raw
> socket, and are protected via lower level system modifications.)

And what about OCaml-Java [1]. Will it be possible to use it with
dalvik?

[1] <http://ocamljava.x9c.fr/preview/>

** Kristopher Micinski then said and Xavier Clerc added:

> With a little bit of hacking it'd probably work, but I'm not sure of the
> status of ocaml-java and haven't looked into the implementation details.
> Since ocaml-java outputs class files (afaik) you'd have to sort of hack the
> android build pipeline yourself, but that wouldn't be the hard part: all
> the tools are there. The harder part is that the Android SDK is very Java
> oriented, and it just feels awkward as hell to use in OCaml even if you
> were to write a thin wrapper around the SDK.

In theory, you are right that it wouldn't be hard.
In practice, the problem is that OCaml-Java emits classes
for Java 1.7 while (to the best of my knowledge) Android
only accepts Java 1.6 classes. As far as I know, there is no
other pending problem.