[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Mar 27 08:34:57 PDT 2012

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of March 20 to 27, 2012.

1) Explicitely named type variable and type constraints
2) OCaml app for iOS, Schnapsen card game
3) Wanted: GADT examples: string length, counting module x
4) GADT examples: composable functions list
5) Js_of_ocaml version 1.1
6) Software engineer position at MyLife
7) Other Caml News

1) Explicitely named type variable and type constraints
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00254.html>
** Philippe Veber asked and Jacques Garrigue replied:

> I found myself defining a type that would both contain a module type and a
> type constraint:
>
>   module type Screen = sig
>     type state
>     type message
>     val init : state
>     [...]
>    val emit : state -> message option
>   end
>   type 'a screen = (module Screen with type message = 'a) constraint 'a =
> [> `quit]
>
> That is supposed to express that screens emit messages, and that one of the
> messages can be "quit". Now I've got some trouble when using the 'a screen
> type in a function that unpack the module it contains:
>
>   let f (screen : 'a screen) =
>     let module Screen = (val screen : Screen) in
>     match Screen.(emit init) with
>       | Some `quit -> 1
>       | _ -> 0
>
>   ;;
> Error: This expression has type
>          ([> `quit ] as 'a) screen = (module Screen with type message = 'a)
>        but an expression was expected of type (module Screen)

Indeed, this is clearly wrong: these two module types are not equivalent.

> New attempt:
>
> # let f (screen : 'a screen) =
>     let module Screen = (val screen : Screen with type message = 'a) in
>     match Screen.(emit init) with
>       | Some `quit -> 1
>       | _ -> 0
>
>   ;;
> Error: Unbound type parameter 'a

Wrong again, as subtyping between module signatures does not
allow free type variables.

> Though here I'm not sure the error is right. New attempt:
>

> # let f (type s) (screen : s screen) =
>     let module Screen = (val screen : Screen with type message = s) in
>     match Screen.(emit init) with
>       | Some `quit -> 1
>       | _ -> 0
>
>   ;;
> Error: This type s should be an instance of type [> `quit ]
>
> Which makes sense. So here is my question: is there a way to impose a
> constraint on the "newtype" introduced in argument? Let me say that I'm
> aware I should write this more simply. For instance in the module type
> Screen, emit could have type state -> [`quit | `message of message]. So my
> question is only a matter of curiosity. Still, I'd be happy to know :o).

No, currently there is no way to do that.
One can only create locally abstract types, not locally private types.
In theory I see no problem doing that, but with the current approach this
would require new syntax,
and be rather heavy.

  let f (type s = private [> `quit]) (screen : s screen) = ...

And to be fully general, recursion between those types should be allowed
too...

As a side note, writing
        type message = private [> unit]
makes the problem clearer.
And solves it in some cases:

module type Screen =
  sig
    type state
    type message = private [> `quit ]
    val init : state
    val emit : state -> message option
  end
# let f (module Screen : Screen) =
    match Screen.(emit init) with
    | Some `quit -> 1
    | _ -> 0
  ;;
val f : (module Screen) -> int = <fun>

(using 4.00, but you can also write with (val ...))

2) OCaml app for iOS, Schnapsen card game
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00267.html>
** Jeffrey Scofield announced:

As more proof that you can write real-world iOS apps in OCaml, our little
outfit Psellos has just released a second OCaml app through the App Store.
It plays the classic card games Schnapsen and Sixty-Six.

You can find info about the app at our website:

    <http://psellos.com/>

We think using OCaml was a real advantage in building the game-playing
engine.  It also seemed a great fit for the animation subsystem that I
wrote to make the cards move (immutably).

Also, these are great card games.  One of our friends was inspired by
the app to start up a blog about Schnapsen (also on the website).

In addition to the two apps that we sell (for cheap), I've written 5
apps that show how to code for iOS in OCaml.  The sources for all 5 are
available at our website in the OCaml section
(<http://psellos.com/ocaml/>).  A few people have used these examples as
the basis for their own apps.

There's also info on how to cross compile to iOS and to the iOS
Simulator, how to build the cross compilers we're using, and how to use
OpenGL ES from OCaml.

Recently there was a question about updating our tools to work with
Apple's latest Xcode.  Now that the app is released, I'll be doing that
as soon as I can.

I'm trying my best to start a worldwide OCaml-on-iOS craze :-), and
would be very happy to hear from anyone interested.

3) Wanted: GADT examples: string length, counting module x
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00150.html>
** Goswin von Brederlow asked (please find the example at the archive link):

yesterday I compiled ocaml 3.13 and played around a bit with the GDAT
syntax but wasn't overly successfull. Or at least I had higher hopes for
it. So it is time to invoke the internet to come up with a better
example. :)

1) How do I write a GADT that encodes the length of a string or array?
   How do I use that to create a string or array?
   How do I specify a function that takes a string or array of a fixed length?
   Bonus: How do I specify a function that takes a string or array of a
          certain length or longer?

2) How do I write a GADT that counts an int module x? Say for an offset
   into a byte stream to safeguard when access is aligned and when
   unaligned.
   Again with an example that creates a value and a function that uses
   it.
   Bonus: Have one function that only allows aligned access and one that
          picks the right aligned/unaligned function to use depending on
          the type.

Below I've included an example for checking aligned access (1/2/4/8 byte
aligned). First using GADT and second using old style phantom types. The
second looks much longer because it includes the signature needed to
make the type (...) off private. The t1/t2/t4/t8 types are just aliases
to make the type of the other functions shorter.

One thing I couldn't manage is to write a "bind" function with GADTs or
bind takeX to a string unless I specify the full type. "takeX s" always
switches to '_a types and then gets bound to a specific type on the
first use and fail on the second use.

On the plus side of GADTs is that you do not need a private type (and
therefore the module signature) to make them work.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Other simple examples that show the power of GADTs are welcome too.

** Gabriel Scherer replied:

I suspect you're seeing too much into the GADT as they're being added
in OCaml. Your examples are not basically about GADTs, but about
dependent types: you want to encode values (and operations on them) at
the type level to get more expressivity. This is a well-known and
extremely powerful trend in programming languages design, but it also
results in complex systems with sophisticated rules.

GADTs are not as expressive as full dependent types and, I would
argue, their "intended use" is elsewhere. GADTs are plain old
algebraic datatypes that come with equality constraints between types.
By manipulating GADTs you can reason, in a convenient way, about some
types being equal to some other in specific case. The cornerstone
example of GADT is the (a) type of well-typed expressions (a  expr),
where the shape of the expression gives you more information about the
type (a) :

  type _ expr =
    | Int : int -> int expr
    | Prod : 'a expr -> 'b expr -> ('a * 'b) expr
    | IfThenElse : bool expr -> 'a expr -> 'a expr -> 'a expr

With a GADT type, you can write an evaluation function of type ('a
expr -> 'a), for instance, which would not be possible in a type-safe
way with the usual algebraic datatype with a phantom type parameter --
it was already possible to use encodings of GADT into first-class
modules [1], or finally tagless representations [2] to achieve the
same effect, but with more boilerplate and less efficient runtime
representations.

[1] <http://okmij.org/ftp/ML/first-class-modules/>
[2] <http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/index.html>

(Remark: a lot of algorithms can be understood as the transformation
of data into code, that is evaluating a specific language of commands.
It is therefore easy to see "a type of well-typed expressions" in
almost every real-life use case.)

On the contrary, your intended applications are not directly about
equality between types, but about value and computations at the type
level. While this can be done with GADTs when extended with enough
machinery (in particular higher-kinded type variables and possibly
higher-kinded datatypes; see the work on Omega [3] for example), in
OCaml that is expected to be heavy, painful to write and read, and
hard on the tooling (type inference, error messages, etc.). At some
point the benefit of finer static checking does not compensate the
overall pain and complexity of the whole process, and I think we enter
the realm of unnecessarily complicated programs.

[3] <http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~sheard/>

I'm no expert on the subject, but I doubt GADT will provide you much
more expressivity at the level of which computation you can embed in
types. I suspect you'll mostly use the same techniques as you used
before with phantom types (the question of signature redundancy being
more a technical detail than an indication of expressivity, or lack
thereof, of one or another technique). Unary natural numbers will keep
being easy to express at the type-level (see draft implementation at
the end of this email), and modulo, difference or what not will
probably stay tricky and horrible to define if you want the
*inference* engine to do all computation. There is also this technique
of using term witnesses to do the heavy type lifting and use a
logic-programming style at the type level, but that's probably not
what you're looking for.

A small draft of unary natural numbers mirrored at the type level through
GADT.

<https://gitorious.org/gasche-snippets/ocaml-typed-units/blobs/master/gadts_and_type_level_numbers.ml>

They quickly get painful and impractical. Implementing addition is
already non-trivial -- see Mandelbaum and Stump's 2009 article "GADTs
for the OCaml masses" [4] for a more featureful, but no simpler,
presentation:

[4] <https://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~astump/papers/icfp09.pdf>

I consider using GADT to emulate dependent types to be an advanced,
and often counter-productive, level of "type hackery". We should
rather seek examples that fit the GADT features well, instead of
trying to stretch it to such unreasonable places. For example,
François Pottier and Nadji Gauthier's "Polymorphic typed
defunctionalization and concretization" article [5] (2004, 2006) uses
GADT to represent functions by (well-typed) data tags, and Alain
Frisch's use of GADTs for dynamic type witnesses [6]. But with such
advanced features, it is of course not easy to draw a line between
"reasonable" and "less reasonable" uses.

[5] <http://gallium.inria.fr/~fpottier/publis/fpottier-gauthier-hosc.pdf>
[6] <http://www.lexifi.com/blog/dynamic-types>

** oleg also said:

Somehow typed tagless interpreters (embeddings of a typed language)
and length-parameterized lists with the append function are the most
popular examples of GADTs. Neither of them seem to be particularly
good or compelling examples. One can write typed interpreters in the
final-tagless style, with no GADTs. Writing append function whose type
says the length of the resulting list is the sum of the lengths of the
argument lists is cute. However, this example does not go too far, as
one discovers when trying to write List.filter for
length-parameterized lists.

The ML2010 talk on GADT emulation specifically used a different
illustrating example: a sort of generic programming, or implementing
N-morphic functions:

<http://okmij.org/ftp/ML/first-class-modules/first-class-modules-talk-notes.pdf>

Polymorphic functions must operate uniformly on their arguments, which
means they can't use a specific efficient operation if the argument
happens to be of a convenient type (like int of float
array). N-morphic functions can take such an advantage.

The running example of the talk combined value and the shape
information in the same data type:

type 'a sif = Int of (int,'a) eq * int
            | Flo of (float,'a) eq * float

val add_sif : 'a sif ->  'a sif -> 'a sif

Shape may well be separated from the value:

type 'a shape = Int of (int,'a) eq
              | Flo of (float,'a) eq

val add_sif : 'a shape -> 'a -> 'a -> 'a

and so we pass values to add_sif without `boxing' and wrapping.

** To which Gabriel Scherer replied:

In this example, you use GADTs to safely provide runtime type
information on untagged data. This can also be seen as a specific case
of the "runtime type information" promoted by Alain Frisch [1] or
equivalently as a dual (in the sum-of-data vs. product-of-functions
sense) of type-classes, where you have a predicate over a subset of
the types ("sif" being read as an "is_a_number" type constraint) whose
instances are closed / fixed at class definition time, to which
operations can be added modularly: `add` now, `mult` later. This can
then be related to Pottier and Gauthier's "concretization" of
type-classes mentioned in my previous message.

[1] <http://www.lexifi.com/blog/dynamic-types>
[2] <http://gallium.inria.fr/~fpottier/publis/fpottier-gauthier-hosc.pdf>

> One can write typed interpreters in the
> final-tagless style, with no GADTs.

Isn't this true of all GADTs examples? You have already shown that
GADTs can be relatively-practically expressible with equality types. I
suspect the justification for GADTs is not increased expressivity, but
a simpler/more familiar way to implement those
type-information-passing techniques -- just as ordinary algebraic
datatypes could be expressed with functional encodings, but are more
practical and convenient to use in the usual case. Besides, there is
the down-to-earth efficiency benefit of directly using first-order
data instead of functional encodings.

** Goswin von Brederlow later said:

I played some more with GADTs, this time with an universal list. Well,
not truely universal as you can't store arbitrary types. Only Int and
Float are allowed here:

type _ kind = (* used for searching in the list *)
  | Int_kind : int kind
  | Float_kind : float kind

type value = (* box the values so we have runtime type information *)
  | Int of int
  | Float of float

type list = (* the universal list *)
  | Nil : list
  | Cons : value * list -> list

(* find the first value in the list of a given kind *)
let rec get : type a . list -> a kind -> a = fun l k ->
  match (k, l) with
    | (_, Nil) -> raise Not_found
    | (Int_kind, Cons (Int x, xs)) -> x
    | (Float_kind, Cons (Float x, xs)) -> x
    | (_, Cons (_, xs)) -> get xs k

(* print out list *)
let rec print = function
  | Nil -> print_newline ()
  | Cons ((Int x), xs) -> Printf.printf "%d " x; print xs
  | Cons ((Float x), xs) -> Printf.printf "%f " x; print xs

(* testing *)
let empty = Nil
let l1 = Cons ((Int 1), empty)
let l2 = Cons ((Float 2.), l1)
let () = print l2
let i = get l2 Int_kind
let f = get l2 Float_kind;;

(*
                                                          2.000000 1
type _ kind = Int_kind : int kind | Float_kind : float kind
type value = Int of int | Float of float
type list = Nil : list | Cons : value * list -> list
val get : list -> 'a kind -> 'a = <fun>
val print : list -> unit = <fun>
val empty : list = Nil
val l1 : list = Cons (Int 1, Nil)
val l2 : list = Cons (Float 2., Cons (Int 1, Nil))
val i : int = 1
val f : float = 2.
*)

At first glance you might think: Why does that need GADTs? Why not
simply use

    type value = Int of int | Float of float

for this?

Take a close look at the get funktion:

    val get : list -> 'a kind -> 'a = <fun>

It does not return a value but directly the unboxed type. Because the
value is unboxed you can directly use it and ocaml will detect if you
screw up the type like in:

    let () = Printf.printf "%d\n" (get l2 Float_kind);;
    Error: This expression has type float but an expression was expected
           of type int

4) GADT examples: composable functions list
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00271.html>
** Roberto Di Cosmo said:

GADT come in really handy is when you have data structures that need
existential
type variables.

A nice example is the case of lists of composable functions: say you want to
build a list containing functions f_i : A_i -> A_{i+1}

Without GADT
------------

 One can get away cheating the type system and declaring the type

  type ('a,'b) cfl = ('a -> 'b) list;;

 which is really incorrect: 'a is the first input type, 'b is the last output
 type, and that's ok, but it is really not true that the list will contain
 functions of type 'a -> 'b ...

 This shows up as soon as one tries to do something useful with this list,
like
 adding one element at the bebinning: to keep the type checker happy, we call
 Obj.magic in for help

  let add (f: 'a -> 'b)  (fl : ('b,'c) cfl) : ('a,'c) cfl =
   (Obj.magic f):: (Obj.magic fl);;

 And you will need Obj.magic's help in writing map, fold, compute, whatever...

 You may argue that if all the hectic primitives are well hidden behind a
module
 signature, and the module programmer is very smart, all will be well, but
 that's ugly, isn't it?

Here is the elegant way of doing it using GADT

 Declare the type cfl of a composable function list as follows

  type ('a,'b) cfl =
   Nilf: ('a,'a) cfl
  |Consf: ('a -> 'b) * ('b,'c) cfl -> ('a,'c) cfl;;

 Now you can write useful functions which are well typed

  let rec compute : type a b. a -> (a,b) cfl -> b = fun x ->
  function
  | Nilf -> x (* here 'a = 'b *)
  | Consf (f,rl) -> compute (f x) rl;;

 Try it... it works!

  let cl = Consf ((fun x -> Printf.sprintf "%d" x), Nilf);;
  let cl' = Consf ((fun x -> truncate x), cl);;
  compute 3.5 cl';;

 Notice that the type of Consf contains a variable 'b which is
 not used in the result type: one can check that

   ('a -> 'b) * ('b,'c) cfl -> ('a,'c) cfl

 can be seen as

   \forall 'a 'c. (\exists 'b.('a -> 'b) * ('b,'c) cfl) -> ('a,'c) cfl

 so, when deconstructing a cfl, one gets of course a function and the
 rest of the list, but now we know that their type is

       \exists 'b.('a -> 'b) * ('b,'c) cfl

Well, isn't this a contrived example?
-------------------------------------

Actually, not at all... back in 1999, when developing a parallel
programming library named ocamlp3l, we implemented high-level
parallelism combinators that allowed to write expressions like this
(hey, isn't this map/reduce? well, yes... indeed that was an ooold idea)

    (seq(intervals 10) ||| mapvector(seq(seq_integr f),5) |||
reducevector(seq(sum),2))

These combinators could be interpreted sequentially or graphically quite
easily, but turning them into a distributed program required a lot of
work, and the first step was to build an AST from these expressions:
here is a snippet of the actual type declaration from the old code in
parp3l.ml

 (* the type of the p3l cap *)

 type ('a,'b) p3ltree = Farm of (('a,'b) p3ltree * int)
                | Pipe of ('a,'b) p3ltree list
                | Map of (('a,'b) p3ltree * int)
                | Reduce of (('a,'b) p3ltree * int)
                | Seq of ('a -> 'b)
                ;;

And here is one of the simplification steps we had to perform on the AST

 let (|||) (t1 : ('a,'b) p3ltree) (t2 : ('b,'c) p3ltree) =
   match ((Obj.magic t1 : ('a,'c) p3ltree), (Obj.magic t2 : ('a,'c) p3ltree))
with
     (Pipe l1, Pipe l2) -> Pipe(l1 @ l2)
   | (s1, Pipe l2) -> Pipe(s1 :: l2)
   | (Pipe l1, s2) -> Pipe(l1 @ [s2])
   | (s1, s2) -> Pipe [s1; s2];;

I am sure you see the analogy with the composable function list: a series
of functions in a paralle pipeline have exactly the same type structure.

With GADTs, onw can can finally write this 1999 code in a clean way in OCaml,
so many thanks to the OCaml team, and keep up the good work!

5) Js_of_ocaml version 1.1
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00302.html>
** Jerome Vouillon announced:

I'm happy to announce a new release of Js_of_ocaml, a compiler
from OCaml bytecode to Javascript.  This tool lets you write
OCaml programs that run on Web browsers.  You can use it to
deploy your OCaml applications everywhere (smartphones, tablets,
desktop computers, ...), or to take advantage of the graphical
capabilies of modern browsers: text layout, 2D canvas, WebGL...

This release adds WebGL bindings, provides more complete bindings
to the other browser APIs, and fixes a number of bugs.

Js_of_ocaml is easy to install, and use thereafter, as it works with
an existing installation of OCaml, with no need to recompile any
library.  It comes with bindings for a large part of the browser APIs.

The project page is:   <http://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/>

EXAMPLES

The compiler has been used to implement the "Try Ocaml" site,
which runs the OCaml toplevel in you browser.

    <http://try.ocamlpro.org/>

Another noteworthy example is an interactive tree viewer, which
let you browse a large phylogenetic tree of animals, layed out on
the hyperbolic plane.

    <http://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/files/hyperbolic/>

Further examples can be found on the project page.

PERFORMANCES

According to our benchmarks, with state of the art Javascript engines,
the generated programs runs typically faster than with the OCaml
bytecode interpreter ( <http://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/performances> ;).

Js_of_ocaml performs dead code elimination in order to generate
compact code: the Javascript file produced is usually smaller than
the input bytecode file, and often much smaller.

LINKS

Project home page  <http://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/>
Download           <http://ocsigen.org/download/js_of_ocaml-1.1.1.tar.gz>
Get source code    darcs get <http://ocsigen.org/darcs/js_of_ocaml/>
Documentation      <https://ocsigen.org/js_of_ocaml/manual/>

6) Software engineer position at MyLife
Archive: <https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/arc/caml-list/2012-03/msg00304.html>
** Martin Jambon announced:

We are looking for a software engineer to join our team at MyLife. Our
work falls broadly into the "Big Data" category.

The successful candidate will be a programmer with an understanding of
OCaml's properties and why it makes a good choice for the problems we
have to solve.

The job will require:

- familiarity with OCaml
- familiarity with Unix systems
- interest in data analysis
- continuous learning
- good communication

The position is in our Mountain View office, which benefits from the
exceptional work and life environment of the Silicon Valley.

Please contact me for more information:

  Martin Jambon
<martin AT mylife-inc.com>

7) Other Caml News
** From the ocamlcore planet blog:

Thanks to Alp Mestan, we now include in the Caml Weekly News the links to the
recent posts from the ocamlcore planet blog at <http://planet.ocamlcore.org/>.

PROMELA:
  <https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/promela/>

Zarith 1.1 released:
  <https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=829>

OCamlTopWin: simple Windows toplevel UI:
  <https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocamltopwin/>

ML workshop:
  <https://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/107>

Old cwn