[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Mon Feb 1 22:42:08 PST 2010

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of January 26 to
February 02, 2010.

1) Format syntax extension
2) Other Caml News

1) Format syntax extension
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_thread/thread/7a921528c042e436#>
** Tiphaine Turpin announced:

I'm pleased to announce the first release of the Format syntax extension
for Ocaml:
<https://forge.ocamlcore.org/frs/download.php/360/format-1.0.tar.bz2>.

Format is basically a quotation-style printf, i.e., it defines
quotations for building strings and writing to buffers, channels, and
formatters, with data being inserted through antiquotations rather than
subsequent arguments. Here is a list of features:

- Format can be used to write to strings, buffers, channels, and (with a
limited efficiency) formatters.
- Format expressions are (mostly) compiled rather than interpreted (less
overhead).
- All Printf formatting instructions are supported, except %a (but %t
seems more natural in this setting anyway).
- Conditionals and iteration are available.
- Type errors are more readable than with printf.
- Errors should be correctly located (both in formats and inside
anti-quotations).
- Also works with Ocaml Batteries  with out_channel -> 'a IO.output (no
integration with the "prefixes" of batteries).

2) Other Caml News
** From the ocamlcore planet blog:

Thanks to Alp Mestan, we now include in the Caml Weekly News the links to the
recent posts from the ocamlcore planet blog at <http://planet.ocamlcore.org/>.

Transparents OPA:
  <http://dutherenverseauborddelatable.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/transparents-opa/>

Batteries Included 1.0.1 released: