[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Jun 30 00:21:37 PDT 2009

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of June 23 to 30,
2009.

1) New HLVM examples!
2) Other Caml News

1) New HLVM examples!
Archive: <http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2009/06/5b87f2ac8a0cb70e00ee1f9eb28e60ec.en.html

** Jon Harrop announced:

The HLVM project now includes two examples: a calculator and a tiny
compiler:

   <http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/hlvm/>

The design and implementation of the compiler are described in detail
in the
latest OCaml Journal article:

   <http://ocamlnews.blogspot.com/2009/06/compiler-development-part-1.html

The compiler can execute the following OCaml-like program to print the
Mandelbrot set:

# let rec pixel((n, zr, zi, cr, ci) : int * float * float * float *
float) :
  unit =
      if n = 65536 then print_char ' ' else
        if zr * zr + zi * zi >= 4.0 then print_char '.' else
          pixel(n+1, zr * zr - zi * zi + cr, 2.0 * zr * zi + ci, cr,
ci);;
  # let rec row((i, j, n) : int * int * int) : unit =
      if i>n then () else
        begin
          let cr = 2.0 * float_of_int i / float_of_int n - 1.5 in
          let ci = 2.0 * float_of_int j / float_of_int n - 1.0 in
          pixel(0, 0.0, 0.0, cr, ci);
          row(i+1, j, n)
        end;;
  # let rec col((j, n) : int * int) : unit =
      if j>n then () else
        begin
          row(0, j, n);
          print_char '\n';
          col(j+1, n)
        end;;
  # let rec mandelbrot(n : int) : unit =
      col(0, n);;
  # mandelbrot 77;;

In particular, our compiler runs this program interactively 50x faster
than
the OCaml top-level and 60% faster than native-code compiled OCaml!

Check out HLVM's SVN repository including these examples with:

   svn checkout svn://svn.forge.ocamlcore.org/svnroot/hlvm

2) Other Caml News
** From the ocamlcore planet blog:

Thanks to Alp Mestan, we now include in the Caml Weekly News the links
to the
recent posts from the ocamlcore planet blog at <http://planet.ocamlcore.org/
 >.

Camomile 0.7.2:
   <http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/hump.cgi?contrib=85>

RegSTAB:
   <http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/regstab/>

Transition to OCaml 3.11.1 has started in Debian:
   <https://bentobako.org/david/blog/index.php?post/2009/06/25/Transition-to-OCaml-3.11.1-has-started-in-Debian

Old cwn