[cwn] Caml Weekly News for April 14

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Apr 21 06:46:12 PDT 2009

It seems that I forgot to send the CWN last week, even though they
were generated. Here they are.

Alan

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of April 07 to 14,
2009.

1) Amthing - a multi-threaded GUI library

1) Amthing - a multi-threaded GUI library
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_thread/thread/af09a302fa8ab70e#

** Ogasawara Satoshi announced:

I'm please to announce the  first public release of Amthing, a multi-
threaded
GUI library for OCaml.

Features are:

- Multi-threaded design using Concurrent ML style message passing.
- Time-line animation and functional reactive sprite system.
- X11 Binding.
- 2D vector rendering by cairo.

Here's a "Hello world" example of Amthing.

  open Ccell
  open Event
  open Amthing.Util.Persavatives

  module W = Amthing.Core.Window ( Amthing.XWindow )
  module K = Amthing.KeyCode
  module E = Amthing.WinEvent
  module S = Amthing.Sprite
  module C = Amthing.Component
  let wh = W.make  (Amthing.XWindow.default_parameter ())
  let tc = lazy (W.make_text_context wh)

  let _ =
    W.resize wh {| x = 0; y = 0; w = 200; h = 200 |};
    let hello =
      new S.label !$tc "hello world!"
        +> S.set (`X 55.)
        +> S.set (`Y 90.)
        +> S.set (`Color Amthing.Color.blue)
        +> C.make
    in
    W.add_visible wh hello;
    W.set_title wh "amthing hello world!";
    W.show wh;
    let main_loop () =
      match select [ Bcast.receive (W.event wh) ] with
        `KEY_PRESS input when E.key_code input = Some K._q ->
	      W.close wh;
	      exit 0
      | #E.t -> ()
    in
    forever main_loop ()

you can clone the repository from OCamlForge subversion :

  svn checkout svn://svn.forge.ocamlcore.org/svnroot/amthing

or view souce code on the web.

  <http://forge.ocamlcore.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/?root=amthing

Using folding to read the cwn in vim 6+
Here is a quick trick to help you read this CWN if you are viewing it
using
vim (version 6 or greater).

:set foldmethod=expr
:set foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)=~'^=\\{78}$'?'<1':1
zM
If you know of a better way, please let me know.

Old cwn