[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Nov 6 00:30:47 PST 2007

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of October 30 to
November 06, 2007.

1) Marionnet 0.50.0
2) Jobs with the F# team
3) OCaml and Leopard
4) Smoke Vector Graphics: source code licenses for sale
5) CamlPDF v0.2

1) Marionnet 0.50.0
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
d3a16d55958a2246/a9391116d6c8fdbc#a9391116d6c8fdbc>
** Luca Saiu announced:

We are happy to announce the first public release of Marionnet, a
virtual network laboratory.

Marionnet allows users to simulate on a single host machine a complete
network made of virtual computers, hubs, switches and routers connected
by Ethernet cables; any single virtual device can be created, destroyed,
modified, booted, shut down, paused or resumed at any time, while the
rest of the network is running. It's also possible to simulate defects
in network components, with a very fine level of control.

The virtual network can also interoperate with the host machine network,
using the 'plug' device.

Virtual computers run unmodified GNU/Linux x86 application binaries on
the Debian distribution we provide; graphical application relying on X
are supported. Support for other non-debian x86 GNU/Linux distributions
is easy to add.

As the application is primarily targeted to students it features a very
intuitive graphical user interface.

The application logic is fully implemented in OCaml (see [1]), but
Marionnet relies on User Mode Linux [2] and Virtual Distributed Network
[3] for the low-level simulation part. We wish to thank Jeff Dike and
Renzo Davoli for these fine pieces of software.

The download page also contains a DVD image with Marionnet
pre-configured on a 'live' GNU/Linux system, directly running from the
DVD without need for installation.

Marionnet is free software, released under the GNU General Public
License. It comes with absolutely no warranty.

Marionnet is written by Jean-Vincent Loddo
(<http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~loddo>) and Luca Saiu
Université
Paris 13 as an e-learning project.

Home page: <http://www.marionnet.org>

Thanks,

--
Luca Saiu
<http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~saiu>

[1] Status Report: Marionnet --- How to Implement a Virtual Network
Laboratory in Six Months and Be Happy
Jean-Vincent Loddo, Luca Saiu
ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on ML, Freiburg, 2007.
<http://www-lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~saiu/marionnet.pdf>

[2] User Mode Linux
<http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net>

[3] Virtual Distributed Ethernet
<http://vde.sourceforge.net>

2) Jobs with the F# team
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
52b8a35047cb10c2/248686f1733b42a0#248686f1733b42a0>
** Don Syme announced:

We have two positions open with the F# team, probably based in
Redmond though
Cambridge UK may be an option. If you?re interested then check out
these job
postings :)

Developer:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/archive/2007/10/30/software-development-
engineer-position-on-the-f-team.aspx>

Tester:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/archive/2007/10/31/software-development-
engineer-in-test-position-on-the-f-team.aspx>

OCaml skills are extremely welcome, along with the other skills
mentioned in
the above posts. Compatibility with core OCaml will remain an
important goal
as we move forward with F#, and we hope to expand our efforts in this
regard.

3) OCaml and Leopard
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
e6968f909152e210/d239b2b2f0a3c7b4#d239b2b2f0a3c7b4>
** Joel Reymont said and Nathaniel Gray added:

 > I'm having trouble compiling OCaml from CVS on Mac OSX Leopard.
 > Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

I got the same problem building 3.10 on godi.

 > + cd asmrun
 > + make all meta.o dynlink.o
 > gcc -I../byterun -DCAML_NAME_SPACE -DNATIVE_CODE -DTARGET_i386 -
 > DSYS_macosx  -O -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT   -c -o
 > signals_asm.o signals_asm.c
 > signals_asm.c: In function 'segv_handler':
 > signals_asm.c:193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
 > signals_asm.c:193: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
 > signals_asm.c: In function 'caml_init_signals':
 > signals_asm.c:241: error: storage size of 'stk' isn't known
 > signals_asm.c:241: warning: unused variable 'stk'
 > make: *** [signals_asm.o] Error 1

This makes me think maybe there's a system header file that's moved,
though I haven't looked in any detail yet.

** Ralph Douglass first said then added:

 > sudo su -
 > cd ~/<you>/Downloads/godi-bootstrap-20061228
 > ./bootstrap --prefix /opt/local/godi
 > export PATH=/opt/local/godi/bin:/opt/local/godi/sbin:$PATH
 > export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
 > ./boostrap_stage2

Oh right, edit your /opt/local/godi/etc/godi.conf for 3.10 between
bootstrap
and bootstrap_stage2.

** Gordon Henriksen also said:

Compiling prior releases, I advise using setenv
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4.

For top-of-tree, see <http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4439>

I'd appreciate if someone could test the change on x64.

4) Smoke Vector Graphics: source code licenses for sale
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
8373482655a9319e/6f5814ead5bb3bbd#6f5814ead5bb3bbd>
** Jon Harrop announced:

We are releasing our high-performance hardware-accelerated vector
graphics
software under a commercial source code license alongside the
existing free
edition:

   <http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/smoke_vector_graphics/?ol>

Until the license is put on the site, e-mail me if you'd like to read
a copy.

As an aside, several users asked us to provide bytecode versions for
use with
the latest OCaml 3.10 as well as 3.09 (still the latest in Debian
testing).
Our download statistics for last month show 94 hits for the 3.09
version and
56 hits for the 3.10 version, so many people seem to be pushing ahead
with
the latest technology!

5) CamlPDF v0.2
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
7580de1f737f8d71/ffec7d05b333cae2#ffec7d05b333cae2>
** John Whitington announced:

CamlPDF is a library for reading, writing and manipulating PDF files
and data. It is released under a BSD-style licence.

<http://www.coherentgraphics.co.uk/camlpdf.html>

New/updated Modules:

Pdftext/Glyphlist/Fonttables: fonts and Unicode text extraction
Pdfcrypt: Encryption and Decryption (40bit, 128bit and AES)
Pdfimages: Preliminary support for image extraction
Pdfwrite: Updated to support encryption and linearization

Also, many bug fixes and new functions. PDF files it can't read
are now very few and far between. There are small API differences,
though most are limited to the addition of extra optional arguments.

CamlPDF forms the basis of the cPDF Command Line Toolkit
<http://www.coherentpdf.com>

Thanks go to Haoyang Wang for a bug fix to string parsing in Pdfread.

Using folding to read the cwn in vim 6+
Here is a quick trick to help you read this CWN if you are viewing it
using
vim (version 6 or greater).

:set foldmethod=expr
:set foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)=~'^=\\{78}$'?'<1':1
zM
If you know of a better way, please let me know.

Old cwn