[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Apr 17 01:11:42 PDT 2007

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of April 10 to 17,
2007.

1) CamlPDF v0.1
2) notes on camlp4 3.10
3) Two ocaml projects are selected (Re: OCaml Project in Google
Summer of Code)
4) Other Digests than md5?
5) What are people using for linear algebra?
6) LSD mount utilities
7) Programming language development job offer

1) CamlPDF v0.1
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
8e98cc23ccae6e27/925416241d5fda94#925416241d5fda94>
** John Whitington announced:

CamlPDF is a library for reading, writing and manipulating PDF files
and data.

This is a request-for-comment release, under a BSD-style licence:

<http://www.coherentgraphics.co.uk/camlpdf.html>

Those not interested in PDF may, however, be interested in the
literate program, which shows what can be done with ocamlweb:

<http://www.coherentgraphics.co.uk/camlpdf.pdf>

CamlPDF has already shipped as part of a popular shrink-wrapped
desktop product. However, since this large codebase aims to provide
a more complete PDF library than was required for that product,
feedback would be much appreciated. Please see the Request for
Comment on page (iii) of the literate program.

2) notes on camlp4 3.10
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
742c89b5101b070d/2251aa465915390c#2251aa465915390c>
** Jeff Henrikson announced:

I stuffed all the my recent notes on camlp4 3.10 onto ocaml-
tutorial.org.

<http://ocaml-tutorial.org/camlp4_3.10>

If you too are doing experiments with the new camlp4, please write down
the things that you find.  Even if a new camlp4 experiment is
contributed only 80% correctly I feel that it's better than it having no
documentation.  The errors will correct with time.

I am totally open to taking it out of the "tutorial" list on the home
page, since it's really not a tutorial.  Someone with history editing on
the site should decide how it should be listed ...

3) Two ocaml projects are selected (Re: OCaml Project in Google
Summer of Code)
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
2a4317d98c531d07/f6a847b66f2da1a5#f6a847b66f2da1a5>
** Yoriyuki Yamagata announced:

The Free Software Initiative of Japan select two OCaml projects for
Google Summer of Code.
<http://code.google.com/soc/fsijp/about.html>

The projects are

STMlib: Multi-backend STM library for OCaml
by Zheng Li

Improve Eclipse plugin of OCaml
by Soutaro Matsumoto.

Both are mentored by me.

4) Other Digests than md5?
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
589759bada9f6c88/c1fad3b160902f64#c1fad3b160902f64>
** Oliver Bandel asked and Eric Cooper answered:

 > The md5-module is really fine, but to have SHA-1 and other algorithms
 > also in the standard-lib would be a good thing, IMHO.

Not in the standard library, but with the same interface as Digest:
     <http://tab.snarc.org/projects/ocaml_sha/>
In Debian, just "apt-get install libsha-ocaml-dev".

5) What are people using for linear algebra?
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
3212597eeae30b76/a445b8378a0e1884#a445b8378a0e1884>
** Erik de Castro Lopo asked and Olivier Andrieu answered:

 > What libraries are people using for linear algebra? I currently only
 > need simple things like multiplication and addition for now but
 > probably also need other stuff at some point.

 > I'd prefer something under the same license as the standard Ocaml
 > libraries.

ocamlgsl, my bindings for the GSL library has some linear algebra too
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/>
mind that GSL's license is GPL, not LGPL.

** Jon Harrop also answered and Erik de Castro Lopo said:

 > OCaml for Scientists describes the use of LACAML. See the
eigenvalue example
 > here, for example:
 >   <http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/
complete/>

Thanks Jon, I have it compiling.
You might hwoever want to fix the lacaml link on your page. The link
you have is broken but this one (from Christophe) works:

     <http://www.ocaml.info/home/ocaml_sources.html#lacaml>

6) LSD mount utilities
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
6bded05ff70ae61a/85b44c07f6c5d00a>
** Markus announced:

Release 1.4 of LSD mount utilities (minor enhancements)

    A new version (1.4) of the LSD mount utilities has been released
    (download here: <http://software.m-e-leypold.de/lsd-mount-
utilities>).

    This release doesn't add new functionality. Instead parts of the
    code have been reorganized in (probably more reliable) reusable
    components.

    As a side effect

      - The installation footprint has been reduced by factor ~2.3
        (formerly separate programs have been gathered into a single
        one and switch on the name under which the program is
        installed).

      - The tool verbosity is greatly reduced (since we now suppress
        standard error for most of the probing with external tools). To
        get a partial trace of the things happening internally
        (e.g. which external programs are invoked) you can now set the
        environment variable lsd_lama_trace=verbose.

    A more detailed description of the utilities can be found at
    <http://www.etc-network.de/blog/mel/projects/lsd-mount-utilities/
about.html>.

    Please read the complete README (and specfically the disclaimer)
    before installing or using the software).

7) Programming language development job offer
Archive: <http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_frm/thread/
a2dd7b2ac2ef6f25/40b6c5bbaf68c3c3#40b6c5bbaf68c3c3>
** Massimiliano Brocchini announced:

Net7 is looking for a researcher to participate in the WebSiCoLa
project.
WebSiCoLa is a Marie-Curie Transfer of Knowledge international project.
The objective of the project is to develop a functional programming
language conceived specifically for programming web applications and web
services. The language will be compiled to OCaml.

You will have the opportunity to work in a stimulating team in the
beautiful city of Pisa in Italy for two years and in France (for CNRS or
University of Paris XIII) for at least one year.

Do you fulfill the following requirements?

- have a Ph.D. in computer science
- your native country is one of the European Union Member States
**except
Italy** or one of the following: Croatia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Iceland,
Israel, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.
- your native country is not in the above list but you worked four of
the last five years in one of the above list of countries.
- ability to speak and write in English

For more information visit
<http://www.netseven.it/index.php?page=/main_eng/home>

Using folding to read the cwn in vim 6+
Here is a quick trick to help you read this CWN if you are viewing it
using
vim (version 6 or greater).

:set foldmethod=expr
:set foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)=~'^=\\{78}$'?'<1':1
zM
If you know of a better way, please let me know.

Old cwn