[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Feb 28 01:08:36 PST 2006

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of February 21 to
28, 2006.

1) PG'OCaml - type safe bindings for PostgreSQL
2) Camomile 0.6.4
3) Xdialog2Ocaml and Kdialog2Ocaml
4) Map.fold behavior changed

1) PG'OCaml - type safe bindings for PostgreSQL
Archive: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/32287>
** Richard Jones announced:

Not the only bindings for PostgreSQL, of course.  Not even the only
type safe ones.

<http://merjis.com/developers/pgocaml>

The license is LGPL + linking exception.

We rewrote some big chunks of code over the weekend to use this new
interface (in preference to ocamldbi) and the results were quite
successful.

2) Camomile 0.6.4
Archive: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/32298>
** Yamagata Yoriyuki announced:

I'm pleased to announce Camomile 0.6.4, a comprehensive Unicode
library for OCaml.  This release is a bug fix release.

Change:
	Native code library (camomile.cmxa) becomes link-able

Download:
	<https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=40603&package_id=32800&release_id=395662>

3) Xdialog2Ocaml and Kdialog2Ocaml
Archive: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/32324>
** Kévin Sejourne announced:

I'm pleased to announce the availability of Xdialog2Ocaml and
Kdialog2Ocaml with a support of all pop-up windows. There is some
function that are not avaible in the both tools but the main difference
is the use of polymorphic variants or build-in types + exceptions.
The interfaces are under licence GPL.

enjoy!

Downloads.

Xdialog2Ocaml :
<http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/sejourne/distrib/Xdialog2Ocaml.tar.gz>

Kdialog2Ocaml :
<http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/sejourne/distrib/kdialog2Ocaml.tar.gz>

4) Map.fold behavior changed
Archive: <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/32348>
** Deep in this thread, Brian Hurt said and Jean-Christophe Filliatre
added:

 > I may take this opportunity to offer a red-black tree
implementation of
 > Map as a replacement, if people are interested.  The advantage a
 > red-black tree is that it uses one less word of memory per element
in a
 > map.

For  information, I  wrote an  implementation of  Set  using red-black
trees a long time ago. It is available here:

   <http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/software.en.html>

Note:  this  code was  even  formally  proved  correct using  a  proof
assistant. Getting Map from Set is rather straightforward.

I also did some benchmarks  to compare red-black trees, patricia trees
and  Ocaml AVLs  and, as  time is  concerned, the  AVLs  were (almost)
always the most efficient.

Using folding to read the cwn in vim 6+
Here is a quick trick to help you read this CWN if you are viewing it
using
vim (version 6 or greater).

:set foldmethod=expr
:set foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)=~'^=\\{78}$'?'<1':1
zM
If you know of a better way, please let me know.

Old cwn