[bip] Mailing list for PyCogent?

Mark Fenner mfenner at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:53:24 PDT 2009

Hi folks,

Just checking to see if you know of a mailing list for PyCogent or of
a way to contact the developers.

Should a pycogent developer see this, I have a few ideas/questions:

(1) use epydoc to generate api/source code documentation, to ease
"poking through" the source code.  very easy, _very_ useful

(2) supposing I wanted to add an "app" class for some applications
(some phylip programs and quicktree), where's the best place to start?
 from other app files? Do any deal with the menu type system that
phylip programs use?

(3) quicktree does neighbor joining on a 4500 protein family in about
3 minutes .... the version in pycogent, by estimates, is going to take
48 hours to do the distance estimation before even getting to the
neighbor joining portion.  Any thoughts?  Is quicktree taking short
cuts?  There must be low hanging fruit optimizations in PyCogent's
EstimateDistances.  I'll look myself, but I'm also looking for some
discussion.

Thanks,
Mark