[bip] Reproducible research

Nathan Harmston iwanttobeabadger at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 03:20:27 PDT 2009

Couple of papers/comment that I think would be relevant to this thread.

The trouble with replication
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v442/n7101/full/442344a.html

Peer usage versus peer review
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/335/7617/451

Regarding Hypothesis Generation..... I agree on the data snooping bias
problems but in todays world of over/mis used /badly analysed microarrays
and other high throughput experiments what other way is there. So long as
your assumptions and model and explicit and you can account for the any bias
and you have a valid approach for selecting the best hypothesis (whether its
using a simple cost function or Bayesian Model selection), but I guess its
another thread.

Andrew: I was suggesting that the journal runs an svn for both the paper, SI
and any associated code, which would be "locked" at point of publication.
This could allow access to previous versions of the paper, comments on it,
code etc. I think I didn't put that idea across too well....I was in the
middle of trying to replicate a paper with a shitty methods section and
getting very angry.

http://www.scri.ac.uk/staff/leightonpritchard