[bip] Reproducible research

James Taylor james at jamestaylor.org
Mon Mar 9 07:20:34 PDT 2009

Um... no. If nobody can reproduce it, it is not science. Just because
you can trick some reviewers into accepting your work without
rigorously verifying it, doesn't make it true. And plodding along in
this way is incredibly damaging to the progress of science. Ideas with
no support can easily come to be accepted as fact.

And why do I care about the exact version of NR? Because when I go
back and try to use your methods and find that I don't get the same
answer, and perhaps get a completely contradictory answer, I want to
be able to know why. I need to be able to look at the data you used,
compared to current data, and figure out what the difference is, what
misled the analysis, whether it is a real problem or an artificial
difference, et cetera.

This standard *must* be applied. Questions about whether results are
interesting or important mean *nothing* if you (the reader) can't
trust the results in the first place.

-- jt