[bip] Reproducible research

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sat Mar 7 04:45:55 PST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:39 PM, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> It's true across the board; experimental protocols suffer from the
> same
> problem, and I'm sure that in, say, chemistry, you run into the same
> issue too.  There's very little incentive for an accurate
> description of
> the process by which you arrived at your results.

This was a fun read, from the "In the Pipeline" blog, which deals
with pharmaceutical chemistry:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/02/27/
your_paper_is_a_sack_of_raving_nonsense_thank_you.php

It's about a paper in the journal "Organic Process Research and
Development"

Someone in the comments said:
> I once tried to reproduce a prep from OrgSyn, a publication
> from which all preps are checked by other groups.

followed by a recounting of a case which wasn't reproducible.

For reference, the Organic Synthesis journal home page says

http://www.orgsyn.org/
> Each procedure is written in considerably more detail as compared
> to typical experimental procedures in other journals, and each
> reaction and all characterization data has been carefully "checked"
> for reproducibility in the laboratory of a member of the Board of
> Editors.

I wonder why that "checked" is in quotes...

Titus:
> I am mildly skeptical that there's significant value to demanding
> exact reproducibility in many circumstances.

There's some quote about how a peer-review publication is only the
first step
to a result being accepted as correct.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com