[bip] testing for clustered-ness on non-random background

Sean MacEachern sean.maceach at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:04:35 PST 2009

Hi all,

If you're interested in genes that are significantly up and down regulated
from a microarray experiment and whether they are clustered in the genome,
could you brake all the chromosomes into bins based on cM and map each gene
to their respective bin using a mid point and/or the position of the first
exon (in bp). I guess you could use a simple chi-square to determine if
there were bins that contained clusters of significant differentially
expressed genes. However it wouldn't tell you which bins (or genomic
positions) that have a large number (or cluster) of significantly de genes.
I may be way off base but perhaps you could use a glm with a poisson
distibution.
y = B + e
Where y  = gene number per bin and B would be the bin? Alternatively
something like Titus has suggested where a null distribution is generated
through a permutation and compared to the observed distribution?

Sean