[bip] Ensembl API

Peter Saffrey pzs at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 07:07:26 PDT 2008

This post is as much to lend another voice to the crowd as anything else.

I've only been in Bioinformatics a few months (from straight computer
science), but have already found the prevalence of Perl to be a worry.
At the moment, the code I'm working with is small enough to be rewritten
in Python, making it far easier for me to maintain and extend it, as
well as remain sane.

However, as others have pointed out, there's not a great deal you can do
if all the APIs you need to use are in Perl. Does anybody else work with
Ensembl, retrieving and manipulating gene sequences? Are there any
options for doing this in Python?

I know gene databases are mirrored elsewhere - do any of these places
have a Python interface?

Peter