[bip] Blog post on bioinformatics and Python

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:21:17 PDT 2008

C. Titus Brown wrote:
> -> Exaggerating for emphasis - If you are developing a reusable library,
> -> and don't yourself reuse components, then you will have problems
> -> understanding the needs of your user base.  You are someone who wants
> -> to write new code while your users are people who want to use
> -> existing tools.
> ->
> -> (Am I roiling the pot enough?)
>
> Andrew, you're missing the part where we're smarter than you.  That's
> why we'll do a better job of solving the problems!
>
> And I think the correct saying is 'tweaking the proboscis'.
>
> --t

Also missing is the community because I tend to concur with Andrew,
communications must to go both ways. Part of any project is foster a
community as it changes and for the community to foster back.  The
latter is hard in multiple ways especially the requirement to understand
a person's coding style that is not your own. But I definitely agree
that starting a new project or forking one (what happened to that other
one) should be an option of last resort.

As previously been suggested on this list, what are the problems with
BioPython and can these be fixed?

Also keep in mind that Python 3K is very near that will require
extensive changes to any code base. So it is probably a good time to
start addressing any issues as the developers are likely to be amenable
to changes as the code has to change. Obviously there are dependencies
on third-party modules that also have to change or these dependencies
(e.g., Numeric) have to be removed in some way.

To start this, one issue for me is the use of the unmaintained Numeric
but numarray (a fork of Numeric) was being maintained. Consequently,
BioPython did not fit into my code. NumPy (yes, another fork of Numeric
with some of the pieces of numarray) superseded both Numeric and
numarray and version 1.2 is due very, very soon (that includes some of
Andrew's fixes). Finally it would appear that BioPython will move to
numpy although there is an mingw windows-64 bug affects the compilation
on that platform that may delay things.

Just a few worthless cents (bailouts are welcome),
Bruce