[bip] Blog post on bioinformatics and Python

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 05:34:53 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> On 16/09/2008 10:25, "Nathan Harmston" <iwanttobeabadger at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> why dont we start a google project, call it BiP and post code
>
> Because if your aim is to build a general purpose bioinformatics library, it
> might be more efficient and sensible to re-use, benefit from and build upon
> the pre-existing open-source Biopython, contributing the changes and
> extensions you think necessary, rather than to duplicate the available
> functionality from scratch in a competing and, if history is any guide,
> divergently-incompatible project?

I agree with Leighton.
Please, if you have any suggestion or criticism to the biopython
project, please tell them, but don't start a new project if it is not
necessary.
I have already used biopython some times and I think it is ok.. what
would you like to change?

I agree with the google/summer of code idea: why don't we propose a
project for a python (biopython?) module to google? I would like to
improve the nexus files handler, or altirnatively, add write support
for other formats.