[bip] Python wrapper for the NCBI C++ Toolkit

Josh Cherry jcherry at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Jul 21 14:01:08 PDT 2008

Hi Andrew.  Thanks for the feedback.  The C++ Toolkit book is out of my
control, but I'll pass your suggestions along.  I can offer a summary of
the Toolkit here.

The NCBI C++ Toolkit provides a variety of general-purpose and
mission-specific functionality.  This includes reading and writing NCBI
data model objects in ASN.1 and XML; retrieving sequences, their
annotations, etc., from NCBI's databases; retrieving other information,
such as PubMed entries and data from the taxonomic database; reading and
writing a variety of file formats relevant to biology; and algorithms for
sequence analysis and related endeavors.

The Toolkit is large (over 3000 classes in the Python wrapper) and the
work of many people, so no single person is familiar with all of it.
It's what we use at NCBI for just about anything we write in C++, and
where we eventually put anything likely to be of general use.

The Python wrapper more or less mirrors the C++ API, but with a few
important enhancements.  These include simplified
serialization/deserialization of ASN.1/XML and mechanisms for easy access
to Toolkit documentation.  It's an open question what role the Python
wrapper will play outside of NCBI.  I see it, and its Perl counterpart, as
making the Toolkit much more accessible to the outside world.

Josh