[bip] SciPy '08 - Aug 19-24, Caltech

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Jul 10 17:21:18 PDT 2008

> just curious -- who is planning on attending SciPy '08?

Not me, but I'll be at EuroSciPy.  Anyone else?

I'm presenting on some of the Python tools for the various
subfields I know about:

   molecular visualization (VMD, PyMol, others)

   molecular dynamics (Python is a minor player; nMOLDYN, BALLView)

   chemical informatics/QSAR (OpenEye, OpenBabel,
        RDKit and more)

   bioinformatics (Biopython, pygr, biocore?)

   expression (PyCluster, but most people use R/Bioconductor)

   cellular modelling (PySCeS; anything else?  but then
     again one of the developers will be at EuroSciPy)

   quantum chemistry (the only one I know is PyQuante)

Am I missing anything obvious?  I don't do anything with
expression or bioinformatics these last few years and
haven't been keeping up with things, and have never done
any QC.  I mostly deal now with atoms - graph-like molecules.

Because it's a general science conference I'm structuring
this as "here's what the subfield does", "here's what people
have to worry about when programming it", and "here's
available tools and tradeoffs."

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com