[bip] Pylint and PEP8

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Jan 4 21:55:23 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:02:37PM -0800, Robert Kirkpatrick wrote:
-> Hi Gang,
->
-> I was a noob wrt coding standards until I started using Python.  I actually
-> stumbled upon the PEP-8 standard in a round-about way.  I started running my
-> code through Pylint (http://www.logilab.org/857) and was puzzled as to where
-> the rules came from until I realized the rules were based on PEP-8.
->
-> I was curious to see that Pylint wasn't mentioned on bio.scipy.org site and
-> was wondering if this is something that would be good for us all.  Using
-> Pylint helped me in multiple ways (and no I have no affiliation with the
-> Pylint authors or their organization).  First off, it's simple to run and
-> very customizable.  Second, for noobs to coding (like I was/am ), it can
-> actually teach the biologist some basics of coding.

[ ... ]

Sounds good to me, especially if you can tweak it a bit to provide
"really bad" vs "mildly bad" warnings.

Note, however, that what we really need is code contributions and
tutorials ;)

cheers,
--t