[bip] Pylint and PEP8

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Jan 4 17:05:05 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:48:24PM -0800, Erich Schwarz wrote:
-> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Robert Kirkpatrick wrote:
->
-> > I actually stumbled upon the PEP-8 standard in a round-about way.
-> > I started running my code through Pylint
-> > (http://www.logilab.org/857) and was puzzled as to where the rules
-> > came from until I realized the rules were based on PEP-8.
->
->     This looks really handy.  Thanks!
->
->     Titus, are you still looking for Python projects to hand out to
-> people?  It looks like Pylint is still some ways version 1.0 and
-> might be able to use extra volunteer debuggers.

A good idea for GHOP...

My experience with pylint was not nearly so positive, but I didn't spend
much time playing with it.  It seemed to complain about an awful lot of
my code, which might mean the fault lies with me but (I believe ;)
suggests that the default settings on pylint need to be tweaked.

On the other hand this is the second very positive report I've heard
about pylint, so there's that...

I'll respond to the original post once I get that far down in my e-mail.

cheers,