[bip] Bioinformatics Programming Language Shootout, Python performance poopoo'd

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Feb 8 11:43:00 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Paulo Nuin wrote:
> I will test the C and C++ later (and I can try the C# at home), can
> you send me the input file you used?

Sure.  I'll send them by private email direct to you.

> The "best" way would be to write a similar paper with identical
> methodology and motivation, pointing out where this one fails. Do I
> think it is a lot of work to write new code in different languages?
> Yes it is, but at the same it opens space to call good programmers
> in each language to write the algorithms.

As Bruce pointed out

On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Bruce Southey wrote:
> Also to point out 'The Computer Language Benchmarks Game'
> (http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ ) so that this paper is very
> limited and not novel at all.

There's no need to do new research when the existing research
suffices.  That benchmark already has three bioinformatics entries,
and in many more languages.

Besides, that would open a new set of questions, like asking if there
are better benchmark problems.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com