[bip] Bioinformatics Programming Language Shootout, Python performance poopoo'd

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Feb 8 10:05:35 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:28:30PM +0100, Andrew Dalke wrote:
-> On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Bruce Southey wrote:
-> > I strong concur with Andrew that we need to focus solely
-> > on the merit of the paper not the journal or review process.
->    ...
-> > Really the problem exists at the author level because
-> > you can not expect the reviewers to know all languages.
->
-> Hmm.  The reviewers don't need to know all the languages.  I don't.
-> But I know enough about some of the languages to tell there's
-> methodological errors.
->
-> If the reviewers can't review the content of the paper, then what's
-> the point of having reviewers?
->
-> So I think the reviewers do share some of the blame with the authors.

We could also contact the authors directly and suggest that they
withdraw the paper.  I don't have a good sense yet for whether or not
the errors are that significant (although the Perl folk seem upset by
the publication, too).