[bip] parallel recipe and bio libraries.

Erich Schwarz emsch at its.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 4 21:50:36 PST 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Paul Davis wrote:

> Also, remember that your e-values are going to change if you
> change the database size (by splitting it). And to my knowledge,
> its impossible to exactly match the single database e-values when
> blasting multiple sequences at once.

    Shouldn't you be able to get a size for the overall database,
then feed it to the individual blast runs?  For NCBI's blastall, the
argument "-z [number]" allows the effective length of the
full database to be provided independently of whatever subset is
being scanned in the blastall run.  NCBI blastpgp uses "-z" as well;
WU-BLAST uses "Z=[number]".

    Or am I not understanding the problem here (always
possible...)?

--Erich