[bip] [OT] Revision control and databases

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:03:16 PST 2008

On 10/23/08, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio <dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is I don't know if databases do Revision Control.
> When I used flat files, I was used to save all the results in a git
> repository, and, everytime something was changed or calculated again, I did
> commit it.

Just in case someone else interested.
I have found this plugin for elixir (which is an extension for
sqlalchemy itself) which does version control and seems very easy to
use.
- http://elixir.ematia.de/apidocs/elixir.ext.versioned.html
- http://elixir.ematia.de/trac/browser/elixir/trunk/tests/test_versioning.py

It has things like automated versioning and reverting, but id doesn't
seem to have commit messages.
Of course it doesn't seem feasible to use it on a very big database,
but it is good to know it exists.

The three of them, elixir, sqlalchemy, and this plugin, seems very
useful instruments to anyone wishing to use database, in my opinion
:).

--

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it