[bip] BSD or...?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Sep 28 09:36:37 PDT 2007

-> Sage (http://www.sagemath.org) ...

Hi, Peter,

I agree completely.  (What!?, you say? ;)

My intention (and what I thought we were discussing) was to fix the
license that we collectively, as "bio.scipy.org" folk, would *require*
for tutorial and example code posted on our site.  Requiring the BSD
license for this code means that anyone, companies and individuals
alike, can come to bio.scipy.org, take the tutorial and example code,
and use it however they like.

This proposed license restriction does not apply to code advertised,
linked to, or otherwise pimped by bio.scipy.org.  Only to code posted
directly on bio.scipy.org.

In particular, pygr, Cartwheel, BioPython, corebio, etc. are presumably
going to retain their individual licenses.  For one, I *cannot* take
significant chunks of own code and release it under the BSD, because I
do not own copyright!

So sagemath is fine with whatever license they want to use.

Note that this is essentially the arrangement used by the Python
Cookbook.

cheers,