[bip] MIT/BSD license question

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 27 10:37:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 10:33:20AM -0700, Glen Otero wrote:
-> 1) Do the BSD and MIT licenses allow someone to modify BSD/MIT
-> licensed code to create a proprietary product, sell the product, and
-> *not* permit people to redistribute the new product?

IANAL, but BSD/MIT does not restrict your ability to license your own
code under whatever license you care to use.  So while you can't
relicense the BSD/MIT code, you can place your own code under a
restrictive license.

-> 2) If 1) is true, then how does one keep the original license intact
-> and also include a license for the product that doesn't allow
-> redistribution?

I think you would just license your own code under a proprietary
license.

--titus

p.s. I would like to take this opportunity to encourage people to
*write* and *release* some code.  License discussions are all good and
well, but ... what are we licensing? ;)