[bip] changing the Pygr license?

Christopher Lee leec at chem.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 20 15:13:32 PDT 2007

Based on feedback from a number of people who felt that the GPL
license was too limiting, I'm thinking of changing the Pygr license
from GPL to BSD, but would first like to get people's advice about
what they think would be the best license to use.  I only used GPL
originally because it seemed to be what people favored at the time.
If people now feel that GPL is too restrictive, we can change the
license.  In my view, the main purpose of the license is just to
ensure that the software is as useful as possible to people, within a
reasonable set of assumptions about sharing and attribution.   Based
on the discussion on this group, it sounds like people prefer BSD.

I'd be very grateful for comments on this proposed change...

Thanks!

Chris
http://www.bioinformatics.ucla.edu/leelab
http://www.bioinformatics.ucla.edu/pygr