[bip] developing tutorials, code samples, etc.

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Sep 18 09:57:00 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm interested in finding out what people on this list need in the way
of tutorials.  I'm planning to write the following:

 - an expansion of my 'annotations with pygr' tutorial, into a discussion of
   annotating genomes with ChIP-chip data;

 - a "blastparser" tutorial describing how to parse basic BLAST reports
   and then calculate reciprocal BLAST matches;

 - more "pygr on bacteria", using pygr to store and retrieve NCBI
   gene annotations from bacterial genomes;

 - using pygr to load in and query multi-genome alignments produced by
   the genome.ucsc.edu people;

 - a discussion of how to write software packages that "don't suck",
   i.e. a summary of Python standards, packaging, file naming
   conventions, and basic test infrastructure, for people who don't
   have any experience with that.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that these may not meet everyone's needs
or interest, so... what would?

cheers,