[bip] bio.scipy.org online... sort of.

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Sep 14 16:48:51 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 12:23:03PM -0700, Cory Tobin wrote:
-> > It's a good idea to keep things simple and have everything on the site
-> > be the same license.
->
-> I agree completely.  I should have been more clear.  I didn't mean to
-> imply that various code samples on the site should each be licensed
-> individually.  Rather, like you said, have one license for all of the
-> code samples.  BSD and MIT were just two of the options that we could
-> choose to encompass all of the code on the site.

(my reply was partly in response to an off-list query about why we
should pick a single license)

-> > I suggest that for tutorials, recipes, and examples the text and code be
-> > licensed Creative Commons and BSD, respectively.
->
-> Which Creative Commons license?  Creative Commons offers a wide variety of them.

I don't know too much about it, I guess.  Any suggestions?

This:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/

seems to be contaminatory, in that future modifications of CC-licensed
work would need be redistributed under a CC license. Not sure how much
of a problem that is for people wrt tutorials; it seems fair to me, but
then again, so does the GPL ;)