[bip] bio.scipy.org online... sort of.

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Sep 14 11:22:42 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 10:28:32AM -0700, Cory Tobin wrote:
-> > One from Creative Commons for the text and GPL or BSD for code. That
-> > is my suggestion.
->
-> GPL is a tad bit limiting.  It would be nice if visitors to the site
-> could use our examples/recipes without having to GPL their projects
-> also.  BSD and MIT seem more appropriate for this situation.  In both
-> cases the users are pretty much free to do as they please with our
-> code samples. The only significant difference between MIT and BSD is
-> that BSD includes this...
->
-> Neither the name of the <organization> nor the names of its
-> contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
-> this software without specific prior written permission.

IMO...

It's a good idea to keep things simple and have everything on the site
be the same license.  That way people using the code don't have to track
down what the license for each individual code snippet is.

I suggest that for tutorials, recipes, and examples the text and code be
licensed Creative Commons and BSD, respectively.  We can add a caveat
that "publications on science derived from this work should follow
proper citation and co-authorship rules": license, copyright, and
scientific attribution are all separate things!

Does anyone have strong disagreements with this position?  If so, feel
free to e-mail me privately and I can summarize to the list, or of
course you can post yourself ;).

cheers,