[bip] License - was Re: domain name for community site

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Mon Aug 27 07:53:34 PDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:07:09PM +0100, Nathan Harmston wrote:
-> > *In publications you would just cite the Web site, or, down the road,
-> > whatever publication(s) announced the core modules.*
->
-> Who then would be the authors of such a publication, surely it would have to
-> contain the names of very person that committed code to "core modules",
-> otherwise it wouldnt be fair.

I'd expect standard academic authorship rules to apply, myself.  So yes,
any regular contributor would be a co-author.  I think BioPerl has dealt
with this; anyone know?

-> *I honestly don't expect to see significant bodies of code hitting the
-> community Web site in the form of tutorials.  I think a license for core
-> library modules that go beyond simple code or interface spec can be
-> discussed if and when we actually have some code up for review ;).
-> *
-> Speaking of tutorials what sort of topics would be good tutorials for the
-> community site?

Well, this weekend I roughed out an introduction to using pygr for a
specific problem:

http://iorich.caltech.edu/~t/bio+python/pygr/position-specific-mutations-of-binding-sites.html

comments welcome, although I obviously still have some writing to do!

I'm hoping to write one on my blast parser, too.

-> You mentioned last week (I think) that you were planning for having a basic
-> core spec ready soon, any information/timelines on that?

Still working on it.  I decided that the pygr code was more important,
because it motivates the interface code a bit.

cheers,